havr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Hi,

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe (latest BIOS v: 0910) with an Intel E6400, ArcticCooling Alpine 7 cooler. I found something strange with temperatures.

Temperatures of both cores:

IDLE: 44 - 46°C
LOAD: 76 - 82°C
BIOS: 48 - 52°C (CPU temp immediately after computer start)

Coller is installed properly with an original termal paste.

This temperatures are not real because cooler is so hot. There may be a problem in temperature detection, I thing.

What you thing about it? Is the problem in motherboard sensors or these values come from CPU internal sensors?

I tried following application to determine the temp: CoreTemp, Everest 3.5 and Intel TAT.

Thaks to all for comments

Madnyss

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
On board sensors cannot always to be relied, also the difference between 2 different software sensor reporters can tell 2 different temps.

Because you are using the original thermal paste, that means you have mounted it once, each time you remove the HSF, you should clean the IHS and base of the HS off and use new thermal paste (recommend Artic Silver 5)

If those are the real temps they are far to high, even for a e6400 ( they are getting up there with the only P4 net burst temp ). I would recommend low 50's during game play, low 40's during surfing, and low 60's during stress testing.

Your problem may also be your Vcore is not set to the default value in BIOS, which I believe is 1.375V for the e6400.

" This temperatures are not real because cooler is so hot." did you mean cool, Your Heat sink should be quite cool to touch. The Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 is worse than Intel's stock cooler. Also so make sure your case has enough air flow.

I haven't read about any C2D sensor reading been way out, but Intel CPU's shut your computer down once the Comp reaches a certain temp (75C is what mines set at)

havr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
TAT and Core temp both read dirrectly from the temp diod on the CPU. If they are giving you those readings then somthing isn't right. Double check you cooler. Just because you think it went on right dosn't mean it's sitting on the CPU like it should be. If you have removed the cooler and placed it back without cleaning off the thermal pad and applying ne thermal paiste then that is the reason you are getting those temps.

I did not try to replace cooler I have only tried to move cooler in place (it's safety seated) and made visual check.

Maybe, there is a problem between CPU and cooler. I'm gonna to try ogirinal BOX cooler

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
At 76 - 82°C , the cpu cooler itself should be hot and if not then it's not properly mounted, or a software error giving it inaccurate reading.

As you have said, the cpu cooler itself is not hot, but it doesn't mean that it's a software error, it could be that the cooler has a poor contact with the cpu and not allowing heat to transfer. So try remounting the cpu cooler.

havr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
On board sensors cannot always to be relied, also the difference between 2 different software sensor reporters can tell 2 different temps.

Because you are using the original thermal paste, that means you have mounted it once, each time you remove the HSF, you should clean the IHS and base of the HS off and use new thermal paste (recommend Artic Silver 5)

If those are the real temps they are far to high, even for a e6400 ( they are getting up there with the only P4 net burst temp ). I would recommend low 50's during game play, low 40's during surfing, and low 60's during stress testing.

Your problem may also be your Vcore is not set to the default value in BIOS, which I believe is 1.375V for the e6400.

" This temperatures are not real because cooler is so hot." did you mean cool, Your Heat sink should be quite cool to touch. The Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 is worse than Intel's stock cooler. Also so make sure your case has enough air flow.

I haven't read about any C2D sensor reading been way out, but Intel CPU's shut your computer down once the Comp reaches a certain temp (75C is what mines set at)

Right, cooler was mounted only once.
All values in BIOS are set to Auto (including Vcore, FSB, ratio)

Temps:
60 during AOE 3
44 during surfing,
55 during project compilation (Visual Studio 2005)
78+ during stress tests

I will unmount Alpine 7, clean the CPU with tissue and try an original Intel cooler.

havr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
At 76 - 82°C , the cpu cooler itself should be hot and if not then it's not properly mounted, or a software error giving it inaccurate reading.

As you have said, the cpu cooler itself is not hot, but it doesn't mean that it's a software error, it could be that the cooler has a poor contact with the cpu and not allowing heat to transfer. So try remounting the cpu cooler.

I'm gonna to try Intel BOX cooler with original thermal paste (of course, I will clean previous thermal paste).

I thought if cooler is not properly mounted and temperature about 80°C is real so Intel's thermal protection should shutdown computer.

Madnyss

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006

If the cooler is not mounted correctly, the heat isn't being transfered to the HS correctly, so it could possible be cooler than a perfectly mounted HS.

I would also check that you do not have a concave IHS. Is the HSF base rough? or smooth? and flat ( Use a Metal Rule etc and lay it across the HSF, if you can see light between the rule and HSF it isn't flat. )

What does the BIOS report the temps?

havr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
TAT and Core temp both read dirrectly from the temp diod on the CPU. If they are giving you those readings then somthing isn't right. Double check you cooler. Just because you think it went on right dosn't mean it's sitting on the CPU like it should be. If you have removed the cooler and placed it back without cleaning off the thermal pad and applying ne thermal paiste then that is the reason you are getting those temps.

You were right, cooler was not mouted properly so half of the CPU did not touch the cooler. I used Intel Box cooler and it seems to be OK now

Temps now with a Intel BOX cooler:
IDLE: 38 - 40°C
LOAD: 62 - 63°C (Intel TAT, both cores 100% load for 45 minutes)
BIOS: 36°C (imediately after startup)

Thanks to all for the advices... I am only a stupid developer

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You were right, cooler was not mouted properly so half of the CPU did not touch the cooler. I used Intel Box cooler and it seems to be OK now

Temps now with a Intel BOX cooler:
IDLE: 38 - 40°C
LOAD: 62 - 63°C (Intel TAT, both cores 100% load for 45 minutes)
BIOS: 36°C (imediately after startup)

Thanks to all for the advices...

Check out the following post for more details regarding CPU temps:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1438291#1438291

Hope this helps. 8)