core2duo to xeon

Oct 29, 2018
I have an old PC sony all-in-one model VPCL114FL, with a Intel core duo 2 E7500 CPU an I would like to upgrade to an Intel xeon mod CPU, I need help, wich one Intel Xeon CPU is compatible with my old pc?. It's very hard to me determinate wich one to buy, thanks you very much for your help.

chipset:
North Bridge: Intel Eaglelake G43/G45/P43/P45
South Bridge: Intel 82801JB ICH10

socket: 775 LGA

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hard to say without information as to the motherboard itself (and Sony's site is less than helpful). Prebuilts are generally fussier and have less CPU support than normal aftermarket motherboards. Whatever it is, it will be a gamble. Luckily, whatever you will buy will be dirt cheap (it's not worth spending more than dirt cheap on an upgrade to a PC this old).

You can *probably* get 65W Xeons on the LGA 775 socket to work., so you'll be looking at dual-core Xeons. I wouldn't bother trying the higher-wattage Xeons as all-in-one motherboards tend to be low quality and it's doubtful that they left room for a more power-hungry upgrade (all-in-ones are very rarely upgraded). No guarantees even on a 65W Xeon, but it's your best shot.