[SOLVED] CoreFoundation.dll causing problems

ant_march

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I woke up this morning to a machine with numerous CoreFoundaiton.dll missing errors as Windows was booting through my startup services.

I've downloaded corefoundation.dll v1.750.24.0 and copied it into the System32 directory and then run CMD and entered regsvr32 corefoundation.dll but then I get
"The module "corefoundation.dll" may not be compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32bit) or x64(64bit) version of regsvr32.exe".

I then run a search for CoreFoundation on my C drive and found that a version resides in the Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support, so I searched for the same version on the net and downloaded and overwrote this file, just to be sure, but I'm stil getting the same problem after a Windows reboot.

I understand iTunes could be the culprit, from online searching, but if I try to uninstall iTunes, I get
"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed."

So I cannot run anything, I cannot access TotalAV to run a scan of my system.

I have tried resetting the installer settings registry, step 1 from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2642495/the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed-error-when-you-try but nothing.

I have downloaded easy pc optimiser to try to clean my registry but at install I get "The program can't start becuase objc.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem."

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do. I can't remove programs, or update them, or install anything. I can't run my AV, so how can I start to troubleshoot the problem? I'm also not sure if I have the correct corefoundation.dll as there were numerous ones available, but from limited info I could gather, this version was the one I needed for my OS, Windows 7, 64bit. There doesn't appear to be any other CoreFoundation.dll files on my pc except for some corefoundation files in the Adobe program files folder relating to Adobe Flash. But there's no extension to these, so I'm not sure if these are dll files or not, or anything to do with this problem. I cannot screen grab my search because my programs don't work.

Is anyone able to advise or help me with this before I go through the painful process of formatting my C drive and re-installing all my software, which since this is my professional workstation, is an ordeal I'd like to avoid.

Solution
Random files disappearing is a problem that can be from the disk.
Download a Windows 7 ISO (MUST be the same edition, bit architecture, service pack and language) then burn it onto an USB. Boot from it, on install screen choose Repair Windows, head to cmd and run the following commands(without brackets) :
"diskpart" (enter)
"list disk" (enter)
Now find your C: drive there, should be D but do check it. I'll assume that it is d:
"exit" (enter)
"chkdsk /f d:" (enter) (this will scan your disk, if it says it couldn't repair than you drive is most likely toast and you should image it off as fast as possible, even though if you can backup an image do it before starting )
"sfc /scannow /offbootdir d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows" (enter) this...

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Random files disappearing is a problem that can be from the disk.
Download a Windows 7 ISO (MUST be the same edition, bit architecture, service pack and language) then burn it onto an USB. Boot from it, on install screen choose Repair Windows, head to cmd and run the following commands(without brackets) :
"diskpart" (enter)
"list disk" (enter)
Now find your C: drive there, should be D but do check it. I'll assume that it is d:
"exit" (enter)
"chkdsk /f d:" (enter) (this will scan your disk, if it says it couldn't repair than you drive is most likely toast and you should image it off as fast as possible, even though if you can backup an image do it before starting )
"sfc /scannow /offbootdir d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows" (enter) this should check up your Windows' integrity, it should bounce you back with a Complete message, if it says "sfc found corruptions but was unable to fix them" we have work
Restart the PC and see if it works, proceed if needed

Sanitize the PC with http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/8263-63-simple-free-guide-removing-malware
Then restart again

Solution