corei5 to dualcorei5?

yolothebaws

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
So I'm a complete noob, and I want to know if it is possible to upgrade the Intel Core i5-2520M processor to a quad core i5 processor, could anyone help me out on this? im not even sure where I could get a processor for a laptop, but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Solution
What kind of laptop do you have? If they made a version of your laptop with a quad core i7 then it might be possible considering that the PPGA 998 socket isn't soldered in, but they didn't even start making quad physical core i5s for laptops until the 8th gen processors as far as I know.

Other things to consider: BIOS incompatibilities, power draw, cooling

Honestly it's usually not a good idea to replace processors in laptops, they usually put the bare minimum components in to support the processor that it already has. In addition, unless you're doing something pretty intensive, are you sure that you're even going to notice the difference between a dual and a quad core on such an old laptop? The only reason to upgrade your existing...
What kind of laptop do you have? If they made a version of your laptop with a quad core i7 then it might be possible considering that the PPGA 998 socket isn't soldered in, but they didn't even start making quad physical core i5s for laptops until the 8th gen processors as far as I know.

Other things to consider: BIOS incompatibilities, power draw, cooling

Honestly it's usually not a good idea to replace processors in laptops, they usually put the bare minimum components in to support the processor that it already has. In addition, unless you're doing something pretty intensive, are you sure that you're even going to notice the difference between a dual and a quad core on such an old laptop? The only reason to upgrade your existing laptop, in my opinion, would be if your laptop model also had options for a quad core i7 as stock with all of the exact same internals, and that i7 was not prohibitively expensive.

Solution