cores and temps

G

Which core is the most overclockable? best one? which one is more expensive than the others and why? which one is the best for overclocking? which one overheats the most? how can I find which core is which on www.pricewatch.com? WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM WORKABLE TEMPERATURE FOR 1.2-1.3Ghz Athlons??

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, here are the answers in the order you asked them
AXIA
AXIA
AXIA (see above two answers)
AXIA
All about the same
You can't, go to the website, email, do whatever it takes to find out
Around 1.5, average

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my understanding is that, like the above post mentioned, the AXIA running at 1GHZ is the best core. i believe that they're common enough that if you just order one randomly, you're probably going to get one. that's how i got mine. they're not rare or anything. if you want to have more certainty, there are retailers who will expressly tell you you're getting an AXIA, but it will probably cost you.

most of the posts i've seen about overclocking the 1 GHZ AXIA say they're running at or a little above 1.4 GHZ. that's what i've been able to get mine to. I've got it 10x140. for some reason, regardless of the FSB, if i set the multiplier to 10.5 it freezes when windows loads. and i don't like running the FSB too fast. so i'm pretty well maxed at 1.4 GHZ.

i'm using just a regular HSF and some arctic silver II for cooling. no extra case fans or anything. i run temps in the range of low 40's when idle to the high 50's when under load. normal operation will sit between 49 and 51 celsius (like now). i have found that when i run scandisk or defragment in windows, the temp jumps and eventually the system hangs, so i have to bump it back down to 1 GHZ to run those sorts of utitlites. but otherwise it's got no problems at the higher speed.

as far as maximum workable temp, most folks say to stay below 50 degrees. i've read that the official AMD answer to OEM's is to keep it under 67 celsius, which is where i've got my alarm set at. i beleive melt down range is somewhere in the 90's.

hope this helps!

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

G

hmmmm.....I need the one that has highly overclockable CORE cuz I can't o'clock my bus at all, I have now set 800Mhz(8x100) Athlon and i can't even set 101x8 (won't boot) but as you say, you have o'clocked memory up to 140Mhz! I have old Asus A7V and before I could run it at 112Mhz (but now can't go 101Mhz) and o'clocking the core doesn't work either (8.5x100 - won't boot, I changed voltage to 1.85 and then put FOp38 and still no good results!)..any advice? I also have 1.3Ghz t-bird but I don't wona risk!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
To be totaly honest it sounds to me like your using only PC-100 SDRAM, only because I had a similar problem. Try different Ram, Than you can OC FSB even a little bit if thats what you wanted. You can put the 1.3GHz Athlon in there, there is nothing that can happen to it, stick it in (just close L1 Bridges before hand) and put the FOP-38 on it and see how it goes.
One of my friends, I built a T-Bird 800MHz system for him (with a shinny black core) and that CPU with a Volcanno II (or even the Chrome Orb) would hit 1GHz at default voltage and be stable. but the old KT133 chipset was VERY sussy with FSB settings, I got 122MHz ONCE, and it crashed after 3 hours...Anyways try those things, I dunno if any of it helps at all...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

G

I used some VERY cheap pc150 RAM CAS2.5 and now I went back to my 448Mb of pc133 CAS2.5 RAM (64Mb and 128Mb modules are Kingmax good memory plus 256Mb of some cheap Generic memory = 448Mb of pc133 CAS2.5) but I don't know if I o'clock FSB higher cuz of this 256Mb module of generic cheap RAM... and should I put higher voltage on my memory (now it is 3.5 or something and I can set it higher, should I? will it die? overheat?) my CPU now runs at 43 celcius, but I'm not at home now and will be only in fall...ah!

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i would recommend to anyone thinking of using the FSB to overclock to be very careful. a few years back, before i knew what i was doing, i decided to try and OC my PII 300 MHZ. i discovered the multiplier was locked, so i popped my FSB up to the next available level, from 66 to 100 MHZ. I fried my RAM almost instantly. It booted into windows, but not for long. Luckily i was using 2 banks of RAM, one was 100 MHZ, the other 66 MHZ. So, my PC100 RAM was still usable.

Also, remember that when you OC the FSB, you overclock everything on you system: video card, PCI slots, RAM, everything. So you run the risk of damaging those parts as well. that's why i'm hesitant to run the FSB up too high.

One of the nice things about the Abit KT7A series is it gives you the option to increase the CPU FSB independently of the southbridge. you may want to look to see if your system has that option

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I don't think this is much of a problem if you are buying good ram. I know it's tempting with the the prices now to buy the cheapest you can find. Like the saying, you get what you pay for.

I myself will only use Mushkin ram. I've been running my Cas2 133 ram at 145mhz now for 2 months straight, without any signs of failure, and have had it as high as 155, 156 wouldn't post. Now if I could only silence my Delta fan.....

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
most of the posts i've seen about overclocking the 1 GHZ AXIA say they're running at or a little above 1.4 GHZ. that's what i've been able to get mine to. I've got it 10x140. for some reason, regardless of the FSB, if i set the multiplier to 10.5 it freezes when windows loads. and i don't like running the FSB too fast. so i'm pretty well maxed at 1.4 GHZ.
Mine is TB 1000C (AXIA wk17/01) can easily overclock 1400 (10.5*133) and very stable at its default voltage (1.75V), but it freezed when loading Windows if I set 11x, and it wouldn't post at all at 11.5x.
<b><A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1723273&a=13249278&p=51059794&f=0" target="_new">WCPUID</A>
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1723273&a=13249278&p=51059796&f=0" target="_new">3D Mark 2001 of1400MHZ</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Latest posts