Question Cores not being used?

Jan 18, 2020
I have a i7-8700k all my bios settings are correct but in windows when I check task manager it says I have 6 cores but in real temp when I’m looking at my cores it says 4 cores are actually being used, My cpu is throttling and I figured I’d wait til my cooler comes in instead of changing my voltages for you think it’s the slight overheating that’s causing me to use 4 cores cause the cpu is protecting itself?

Jan 18, 2020
no i didn't i got a brand new rig 2 years ago and ive replaced thermal paste several times im currently at 51 Celsius without a game running and when the mhz spike the temps dont change, do you think it could be the voltages in bios? ive never changed them i left them default

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't sound like throttling even though cooler isn't really ideal. While idling, frequency can bounce around depending on background activity, updates etc. Missing cores is not the result of throttling, something else is a miss here.

So you've had this system for two years and just noticed this now or? When did you notice this behavior?

The reason i asked if you upgraded cpus is in some cases, upgrading to a higher core cpu can cause Windows to limit the amount of cores. If this were the case, can change it in msconfig (type msconfig in the search bar) > boot tab > Adv options > uncheck number of processors box if it was ticked, then restart. Check this anyway.

Might want to load optimised defaults in the bios as well.