[SOLVED] Cores/Threads in games?

Hi,i plan on buying i7-3770 which is a 4 core,8 thread processor,and im wondering if htat is a good cpu that will hold until i get my hands on ps5.
I heard that there are problems with 6 threads,but my cpu has 8 so im quessing that wont be a problem.
i play esport titles in case u are wondering.
i have r9 380,16gigs of ddr3 (2x8),ih61m mobo,700W psu.
i heard a lot of good things about this cpu so i wondering is it true.
will 4c/8t hold fine?

Last edited:
Solution
Well, you know, even in your country you might be able to upgrade the platform to something newer for around the same price as an Ivy bridge i7 unless you have a source to get one for fairly cheap. These are getting harder and harder to find, and so is the supporting hardware such as motherboards. You have to consider, does it make sense to pay 150 bucks for a CPU that in six months you might have to pay another 150 bucks to get a motherboard for if yours fails.

Because that 300 dollar investment would go a long way towards something newer. But if you can get it for a good price, then by all means, it's a quick fix.
There are plenty of people out there still using these 9 year old models that are perfectly happy with the performance. They are however only four core models, and the extra four hyperthreads are NOT the same as having four more cores. It's more like having an extra 50% of a core in most cases, so a 4/8 CPU is much like a 6 core CPU without hyperthreading, but these are getting long in the tooth now so you have to realize they don't have the same kind of single core performance that even a Ryzen 3 3000 series CPU or i3 would have.

Whether or not it's a good match for the R9 380 will depend largely on what games you typically play and what kind of settings and resolution you play with, as that will have an effect on what kind of performance you will need to see from the CPU for some games while others will be primarily GPU bound and the CPU won't make an enormous difference except at lower settings or when trying to reach very high FPS.

There are plenty of people out there still using these 9 year old models that are perfectly happy with the performance. They are however only four core models, and the extra four hyperthreads are NOT the same as having four more cores. It's more like having an extra 50% of a core in most cases, so a 4/8 CPU is much like a 6 core CPU without hyperthreading, but these are getting long in the tooth now so you have to realize they don't have the same kind of single core performance that even a Ryzen 3 3000 series CPU or i3 would have.

Whether or not it's a good match for the R9 380 will depend largely on what games you typically play and what kind of settings and resolution you play with, as that will have an effect on what kind of performance you will need to see from the CPU for some games while others will be primarily GPU bound and the CPU won't make an enormous difference except at lower settings or when trying to reach very high FPS.
ok thanks.
I play fortnite which is set all low/off.Except for view distance which bassically means that the targets render on way bigger distance and its a setting that must be turned on epic (max setting) so you dont have a dissadvantage over other players,and texture detail is set to epic (max setting) because it looks nice and it doesnt affect fps at all.
3D resolution is set to 100%,i play on 1280x1024 75Hz,i have fps locked on 75 so it matches my refresh rate,WITHOUT using v-sync (i use radeon chill or i just go to game file and tweak the settings a litle bit).
I play csgo on pro settings which is bassically set to low.
I used to play warzone daily,but idk solos are just boring and my friends dont have pcs for it.I played it on mostly low except for some ettings on/medium which i cant remember.
I play gta V on everything low because i dont know what settings are the best.
I use msi afterburner all the time so i can monitor my gpu/cpu usage and temps,along with ram usage.Idk i just cant let my system overheat.Am i overprotective or is that a bad thing?
Also do you know how to use 100% of my GPU usage in games,since my i3-3240 (current cpu) is always on 100% in fortnite and i think that 100% gpu would help.

Well, the lower settings are, the more demand there usually is for CPU resources because otherwise the GPU is just sitting around waiting for something to do. So low settings CAN result in very high FPS, IF the CPU is capable of delivering those FPS. If you are locked to 75FPS, and are able to handle that with your current CPU, then there wouldn't be much reason for changing CPUs. It's like buying a car because it can go 120mph but the car you already have can go 120mph already, so you're not gaining anything.

And that is why your GPU is sitting around waiting for something to do, because your CPU is at 100% load but is either not able to keep up or is barely able, while the low settings mean that there is practically very little load on the graphics card. If you want the GPU usage to go up, increase the settings, or get a CPU that can work faster, or both.

If you have an i3-3240 then yes, the 3770 or 3770k would be a decent bump in performance.

Well, the lower settings are, the more demand there usually is for CPU resources because otherwise the GPU is just sitting around waiting for something to do. So low settings CAN result in very high FPS, IF the CPU is capable of delivering those FPS. If you are locked to 75FPS, and are able to handle that with your current CPU, then there wouldn't be much reason for changing CPUs. It's like buying a car because it can go 120mph but the car you already have can go 120mph already, so you're not gaining anything.

And that is why your GPU is sitting around waiting for something to do, because your CPU is at 100% load but is either not able to keep up or is barely able, while the low settings mean that there is practically very little load on the graphics card. If you want the GPU usage to go up, increase the settings, or get a CPU that can work faster, or both.

If you have an i3-3240 then yes, the 3770 or 3770k would be a decent bump in performance.
Thats why im buying a i7.My i3 cant keep up with the current games

Well, you know, even in your country you might be able to upgrade the platform to something newer for around the same price as an Ivy bridge i7 unless you have a source to get one for fairly cheap. These are getting harder and harder to find, and so is the supporting hardware such as motherboards. You have to consider, does it make sense to pay 150 bucks for a CPU that in six months you might have to pay another 150 bucks to get a motherboard for if yours fails.

Because that 300 dollar investment would go a long way towards something newer. But if you can get it for a good price, then by all means, it's a quick fix.

Last edited:
Solution

3770 is 75euros+be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 30euros so the total is 105euros.

Last edited by a moderator: