[SOLVED] cores/threads on intel i7

Steviebone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
I have a board lga1150 socket with an intel i7-4790K processor. Task manager shows 8 cores/threads. All the i7-4790k processors I see for sale say simply quad core. What gives? I can't find any lga1150's that indicate 8 core...

Solution
I have a board lga1150 socket with an intel i7-4790K processor. Task manager shows 8 cores/threads. All the i7-4790k processors I see for sale say simply quad core. What gives? I can't find any lga1150's that indicate 8 core...
OSes will indicate logical processors, or how many things they can stick a task onto. Since the i7 can handle two tasks at the same time, it shows up with 8 things Windows can schedule stuff on.

It's just easier to do things this way.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your LGA1150 socketed motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard at the time of writing? What OS are you working with? Yes the i7-4790 has 4 cores but 8 threads due to HyperThreading. It's possible that your motherboard might be compromised if it's showing 8 cores for a processor that has 4. Please try and inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins as a cautionary note.

Remeca

Reputable
This is what task manager shows in W10 on my 4790K:

6VgvJt2.png

Steviebone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
thank you for the replies. I believe it is showing 4 cores with 8 threads. Its running on an old win 2008 R2 server. In task manager I see eight process graphs. A standard quad core i7 4790K should replace the existing CPU.

OSes will indicate logical processors, or how many things they can stick a task onto. Since the i7 can handle two tasks at the same time, it shows up with 8 things Windows can schedule stuff on.

It's just easier to do things this way.

Solution