[SOLVED] CoreTemp and BIOS have different temperature readings

Feb 12, 2019
Hi, guys. I've built a new computer, and I'm concerned that it might have a heating issue, but I don't know. Running at idle, CoreTemp says by CPU runs at 80-85, but BIOS will say 40. If I try playing Call of Duty, CoreTemp says it runs at 90-95, but if I hard reset and check BIOS, it says I'm at 60. I've already got two chassis fans (one coming in the bottom-left, one going out top-heavy), and I'm wondering if it's a problem with how CoreTemp reads my temperature.

Specs
i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz
ASUS B85M-G R2.0 Motherboard
GTX 1060 6GB
12 GBs of RAM

Thanks!

Solution
When bios starts, it's running at a high temp because the cpu is under a load, full turbo speed, drivers, post test, everything being hardware tested and worked etc. Once bios ends and windows starts, windows will override bios settings, uses your power settings instead of bios defaults, EIST or speedstep down the cpu to idle, change fan curves etc. Temps are supposed to drop to normal operating temps as the bios load is shut down.

If running more than one software temp reader, that can confuse temps and report inaccurately. If fan software or the fan switch is set too low for the load, you get very high load temps. At 80°C your cpu cooler and intake fans should be spinning crazy speeds, if not then your cooler can't keep up with the...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There is a difference in load at your BIOS screen than at full OS (even at idle).

Have you baselined your temps at stock speeds and see if the issue remains at factory settings? I'm curious if this is a byproduct of an overclock with too much vcore or there is a problem with how the die temps are being reported through the application.

Also suggest HWInfo, even just to double check what you are seeing...pretty thorough software.

Sounds like a thermal paste issue. CoreTemp has been around for a long time. What version are you using? Do try other HW monitoring apps, I bet ASUS has an app you can install. Also the 4770 has been around for a while. Do you have the 4770 or 4770K, are you overclocking? Are you measuring temps in Celsius?

I am using a Ryzen R5-1600 if I saw 80C I'd be freaking out as you should too but do try other HW temp monitoring Apps.

Also keep in mind that in my experience which is the opposite of yours my CPU runs hotter in BIOS then it does under low load in Windows.

Feb 12, 2019
So I opened it up and found out that the adhesive on the Heatsink bracket detached from the motherboard and isn't reattaching to the motherboard. Which is a much simpler problem than I was worrying it would be.

I'll make sure to go get a cheap heatsink and just use the bracket from it. Guess this serves as just a reminder to check simple things before jumping to the big things. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When bios starts, it's running at a high temp because the cpu is under a load, full turbo speed, drivers, post test, everything being hardware tested and worked etc. Once bios ends and windows starts, windows will override bios settings, uses your power settings instead of bios defaults, EIST or speedstep down the cpu to idle, change fan curves etc. Temps are supposed to drop to normal operating temps as the bios load is shut down.

If running more than one software temp reader, that can confuse temps and report inaccurately. If fan software or the fan switch is set too low for the load, you get very high load temps. At 80°C your cpu cooler and intake fans should be spinning crazy speeds, if not then your cooler can't keep up with the load and you get high temps.

There's half a hundred things can be wrong, not just the software (never known Core Temp to be inaccurate on Intel cpu). For all we know the fan on your cpu cooler isn't working, so low loading like idle will be highish, but gaming loads will be hellishly high.

Solution