Coretemp temperatures innacurate?

ragetg

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hey guys I'm wondering if coretemp/realtemp are truly accurate measurements. The reason i'm asking this is because my CPU temps are coming up extremely low with the i7 3770 even though I'm only using an air cooled $30 cooler master fan 212. Is there any other more accurate ways of checking temperature?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On idle it goes between 18-28c usually even while being on for hours, doesn't seem correct. edit

Don't bump your threads.

Idle temps are often inaccurate.

- What are your ambient temps?
- What is the max temp under load? Use Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
- What thermal compound did you use? How much did you apply?

ragetg

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hey sorry for the bump amateur here, anyways I only ran prime 95 for 1hour but max temp on coretemp recorded 61c (still seems low for i7) and my room temperature is around 62 Fahrenheit btw.

62 Fahrenheit is 16.6C +4C is indeed a bit low.
I have seen this happen when too much thermal paste was used and solvent evaporation temporarily lowered temps beyond the normal amount.
More likely, your idle temps are just a bit off. You would likely have about +7C at idle though, with a CM Hyper 212.

You don't need to run Prime95 for an hour to get a temp. That kind of thing is what a water cooled system has to do... because it takes a long time for the cooling system to reach maximum temps. Your air cooler takes a few minutes to reach max temp.

64C with a good air cooler and stock settings is normal. Despite what you paid, the CM Hyper 212 is a good cooler. Keep in mind also that there is a variance, and the next guy will not get your exact temps. 17C ambient temps are fairly low also. +44C on Prime95 is your ACTUAL temp.

Hardware Secrets got similar temps to yours
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Plus-CPU-Cooler-Review/956/7

ragetg

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Yes I think the max temps are accurate. Not even exceptional. Just normal with that CPU and that cooler. If someone came to me and said they had 70C temps at 18C ambient, with a 212 Evo and stock clocks, that would be the point where I might start to wonder if they had done something wrong. If it was 75C I would be pretty sure it was installed wrong.
Yes I think the idle temps are slightly off. This is normal and within reason. Your CPU runs on the cool side at idle I'm sure, probably actually +7 or 8C not the +4C you are showing... this is well within Intel specs for variance in accuracy.