[SOLVED] Correct cable for Corsair CS Series CS550M psu and a XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS gpu

Jun 18, 2020
I have a Corsair CS Series, CS550M psu and a XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS gpu. I am having trouble finding the correct cable to power the card from the psu. I have two available 6 female pin ports on the psu and the card has an 8 pin female port. The card came with a 8 pin male to dual 6 pin female cable which is incompatible with my psu. Of course I don't have the original cables that came with the PSU. Can someone please lend me some guidance as to what cable I need and where I can get it? I tried a 8 pin to 8 pin cable (4+4) but it didn't plug in easily and didn't power the card.

Solution
I tried a 8 pin to 8 pin cable (4+4) but it didn't plug in easily and didn't power the card.

That would be because the 4+4 is for your CPU and not your graphics card, Had you successfully plugged it in and powered up the system, the results could have been disastrous.

Also which power supply do you have? Your link text says the Corsair CS Series CS550M, but the link goes to the Corsair RM650x. However, if you don't have the original cables for the unit, you should replace it anyway. The specifications state two PCIE cables, but it doesn't specify which they are 6-pin or 8 (6+2) pin.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
I tried a 8 pin to 8 pin cable (4+4) but it didn't plug in easily and didn't power the card.

That would be because the 4+4 is for your CPU and not your graphics card, Had you successfully plugged it in and powered up the system, the results could have been disastrous.

Also which power supply do you have? Your link text says the Corsair CS Series CS550M, but the link goes to the Corsair RM650x. However, if you don't have the original cables for the unit, you should replace it anyway. The specifications state two PCIE cables, but it doesn't specify which they are 6-pin or 8 (6+2) pin.

-Wolf sends

Solution