[SOLVED] Correct cooler size

Sauce109

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
I recently got an hp omen obelisk with an i7 9700. I wanted to change the cpu fan I don’t know what size fan I need. I’m pretty sure it’s not a full size atx because it only has 2 ram slots. And also, will I be able to change the fan speed if I change out the fan

Solution
I see some misconceptions.

Idle temps are mostly representative of airflow in the case and your ambient room temp. It's physically impossible to cool a cpu below ambient by mechanical means, which cpu coolers are, you'd need a chemical process such as LN2, peltier or phase change setup. So if the ambient in your room is 25°C, and your case has pretty dismal airflow, you can expect idle temps to be from @ 32°C upto @ 50°C. And that's going to apply to any cpu cooler, no matter if stock or the largest Noctua NH-D15 twin tower. Loads on the cpu also add to that, if the pc is running minimal processes, @ 5% load, that's idle. If it's running background apps etc that'll move up to @ 20-25% load, which increases temps. Just running a...
When you say cpu fan, do you mean the whole cooler assembly, or what?
I7 comes with a perfectly adequate stock cooler.
It might get loud under load, that being the main reason for an upgrade.

The question to be concerned with is how much height is available to mount a new cooler and fan.
Measure the height available from the level of the cpu chip to the side of the case.
145mm will let you install a cryorig H7 which is a very good cooler.
It has a quiet 120mm fan. There are a few other 145mm options available.

If you have 160mm or more there are numerous options

Sauce109

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
When you say cpu fan, do you mean the whole cooler assembly, or what?
I7 comes with a perfectly adequate stock cooler.
It might get loud under load, that being the main reason for an upgrade.

The question to be concerned with is how much height is available to mount a new cooler and fan.
Measure the height available from the level of the cpu chip to the side of the case.
145mm will let you install a cryorig H7 which is a very good cooler.
It has a quiet 120mm fan. There are a few other 145mm options available.

If you have 160mm or more there are numerous options
It is not a stock cooler. it is very quiet but that makes it less powerful. I dont care about the noise and i need to know if i will be able to change the fan speed if i replace it because my idle temperature is 50 degrees.

Idle at 50c. seems too high unless your ambient is in the 35c. range.

Fan speed should be controlled by the motherboard bios.
Usually, the fan speed will ramp up under load.
There should be some way in the bios to adjust the cpu cooler fan speed profile.

Can you post a photo of the cooler? How large is the fan on it?

Run the cpu-z stress test. If your temperatures are 85c. or better, you are ok and really need to do nothing.
The throttle point is around 100c.

Sauce109

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
I am not worried about the tempurature under load, its just the idle temperature and i also cant change the fan speed with speedfan or in the bios. Thats why i wanted to know if getting a new cpu cooler would fix that.

Sauce109

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
Idle at 50c. seems too high unless your ambient is in the 35c. range.

Fan speed should be controlled by the motherboard bios.
Usually, the fan speed will ramp up under load.
There should be some way in the bios to adjust the cpu cooler fan speed profile.

Can you post a photo of the cooler? How large is the fan on it?

Run the cpu-z stress test. If your temperatures are 85c. or better, you are ok and really need to do nothing.
The throttle point is around 100c.
And if i dont change it and my idle temperature is always 50c, how long will my computer last.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I see some misconceptions.

Idle temps are mostly representative of airflow in the case and your ambient room temp. It's physically impossible to cool a cpu below ambient by mechanical means, which cpu coolers are, you'd need a chemical process such as LN2, peltier or phase change setup. So if the ambient in your room is 25°C, and your case has pretty dismal airflow, you can expect idle temps to be from @ 32°C upto @ 50°C. And that's going to apply to any cpu cooler, no matter if stock or the largest Noctua NH-D15 twin tower. Loads on the cpu also add to that, if the pc is running minimal processes, @ 5% load, that's idle. If it's running background apps etc that'll move up to @ 20-25% load, which increases temps. Just running a rotating background picture in windows can add 5-10% loads on the cpu.

It is not a stock cooler. it is very quiet but that makes it less powerful.
Not true by a long way, actually backwards. The most powerful aircooler on the market is the Noctua NH-D15, which also happens to be one of the quietest under loads. Also, if your cooler is over-sized or very efficient, the fans will not need to ramp up to high speeds, so remain quieter.
It's only the smaller, less efficient coolers, such as stock coolers, that have a need to get high rpm and high noise levels as a result in order to keep temps in check.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS