Question correct screen resolution not available

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2024
After moving my (old, but good) pc to another room i have some issues with screen resolution. It's surprising because i didn't change anything. I'm just using longer cables but the monitors are connected to the exact same inputs. I have 2 monitors and initially both wouldn't list the correct resolution in Windows display settings. Issue with main monitor were resolved by updating to latest driver for my nvidia gforce 1060 graphics interface. 2nd monitor remains an issue, it should be 1680x1050 but the available resolutions only go up to 1280x1024. Both monitors were listed as generic pnp in device manager (and i think they were listed as the correct model name before i moved my pc). For the second monitor (HP w2007v), driver support stopped after windows 7 apparently. So I installed the Win7 driver, and now the monitor is listed under its correct name but the resolution issue remains.

Hope someone can help... PS I'm on Windows OS Build 19045.4291 - Asus P9X79 mobo

Last edited:
After moving my (old, but good) pc to another room i have some issues
moving a system can lead to lots of issues even when careful with the process.

i would power down and reconnect/attach all devices;
GPU to PCIe, reseat all cables to motherboard & devices, etc..
have some issues with screen resolution. It's surprising because i didn't change anything. I'm just using longer cables
try the original cable again or any new cables you have available.

as old as these devices seem to be, i wouldn't be surprised these longer cables you've used are even older and may not be able to handle more modern resolutions or may just be showing wear with age.

Reactions: philcee
May 14, 2024
moving a system can lead to lots of issues even when careful with the process.

i would power down and reconnect/attach all devices;
GPU to PCIe, reseat all cables to motherboard & devices, etc..

try the original cable again or any new cables you have available.

as old as these devices seem to be, i wouldn't be surprised these longer cables you've used are even older and may not be able to handle more modern resolutions or may just be showing wear with age.
you guessed correctly that the cables came from the ol' stash :)) Will do suggested checks, thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.