correct setup for FIOS/Linksys/Powerline network

Jun 27, 2018
I need some getting the correct speed to my home. I just upgraded to FIOS Gigabit speed today.
I previously had 100/100mbps and now have 960/840 mbps. I am unable to get higher than 150 mbps inside the home. Verizon says I am getting the right speed to the modem. I guess it's me and my settings?
I have a FIOS Quantum router which bridges to a Linksys EA8500 for coverage throughout the home. I have multiple TP Link Adapters AV2000 pn different levels of my home.
I am not getting any great speed. Everything is connected and works. I hate to think that going 10x bandwidth that I would only see about 30-50 mbps improvement
My Fios is bridge and I also have the 5ghz turned on for my office.
MY Linksys router has both 2.4 and 5ghz turned on. The bridge from Fios router is plugged into the internet port on the Linksys router. The main powerline adapter is plugged into port #3 and I have another cable plugged into port #4
Each powerline adapter has a 10/100/1000 switch on them to allow multiple connects.
Family switch has a smart HDTV,slingbox, PS4 and a soundbar.
Basement powerline has a amplifier and smart TV.
Daughters room has a printer connected to it.

Jun 27, 2018
I am only able to connect with Wifi at this time. My laptop only has wifi. I am only able to connect about 60 down and 48 mbps. My Samsung s9+ is giving me 50 down and 75 up.
I hope to borrow a friends laptop to check speed. FIOS reset the main box when I called earlier and said I had signal strength?

If you are not going to use any ethernet connected devices you have to question if upgrading is worth the extra money.

Both wifi and powerline will never get close to gigabit speeds. Both top out at about 300mbps on most testing sites. You will never see anywhere near that speed on your phone. The router may have things like 4 antenna but very few end devices do.

Jun 27, 2018

Jun 27, 2018
Not sure how to answer this...
I have multiple peripherals such as Ps4 and HDTV that feed into network switches. All switches are plugged into same TP Link Av2000 powerline adapters. I have 2 starter kits (4 total powerline devices).
The master powerline adapter feeds into Linksys Ea8500 router.
The Ea8500 router is bridged from Fios Quantum router.
I have bridge mode enabled on Fios router.
I am not sure why I do not get the bandwidth?
I was told to plug into FIOS router with my laptop to make sure I am getting correct speed. I do not have a laptop with cat 5e or any cat cable port
Do I have any other solutions? Fios says the speed is entering into the home. I do not see the speed and do not know what else to do?

powerlines aren't going to hit those speeds. consider getting some cables put in. if you have drywall it's not as bad as you think. drywall is pretty easy to patch.

Once you go wired make sure to test wired into the fios router. routers top out around 940Mbs WAN->LAN and some can't do the symmetric link.

Partially it is you are believing marketing hype.

These are the speeds tested for powerline units by one of the better testing sites.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/bar/90-down/11?see=AVG

Running multiple power units will divide the speed between all the units. It is better to run them all as 1 network than 2 pairs. Still running just 1 pair of powerline units will greatly limit your speed on a gigbit internet connection.

Two different issues.

1. Is Verizon providing you with the speed you expect? It seems like no, but until you are plugged directly into the FIOS router it's hard to say for sure. Is that a FIOS issue or something wrong with the settings? That will have to be investigated.

2. As Bill was pointing out ... it seems like every device (laptop, cellphone, console, TV, etc) is connecting to the FIOS router via WiFi or powerline networking. While these are good technologies, in real world situations they do not provide bandwidth of 1 Gbit/sec ... it's more like 300-500 Mbit/sec (Even Gigabit Ethernet caps out in the high 800 Mbit/sec range). So, with your current setup will you ever take full advantage of the bandwidth you are paying for? No.

TRENDING THREADS