Correct side to place fans on radiator

Furial

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hey guys I think my brain just BSOD'd here.

Regardless whether I choose to use a pull or push layout for my radiator fans, assuming the Corsair Hydro Series is mounted on top of the case, is there any different between configurations 1/3 and configurations 2/4 from the picture below? Does the airflow need to cross the radiator (examples 2 and 3) or the only difference between 1/3 and 2/4 is where most dust will build up over time?

I ask as I've just realised I've been using the layout "1" for years and wonder if instead I should be using the layout "3". I'm using those as exhaust fans.

ReUxgaA.jpg

Solution
the best option is to install radiator at the front or at the bottom if you can
because push-pull take a lot of space in the pc case
but the big problem with watercooling is the accumulated dust over radiator ..you need to clean it often

Furial

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

I wouldn't know about the fans, they're the ones that came with the Corsair H110 Hydro Series. According to http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h110-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler may be static pressure fans as it says "Fan static pressure: 1.64mm-H2O" on the technical specifications.

As for the case, here it is:

elf5HKZ.jpg

Furial

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I'll keep it in mind but what I was mainly inquiring is that if with setups 1 and 4 the radiator is getting properly cooled or not, as although air is passing through it, the fans aren't blowing directly on the radiator.

Furial

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Ah crap, I had followed this suggestion from LinusTechTips: https://youtu.be/UyC3lZ5WFMk?t=313

I'll need to switch the configuration then to get the flow through the radiator.

the best option is to install radiator at the front or at the bottom if you can
because push-pull take a lot of space in the pc case
but the big problem with watercooling is the accumulated dust over radiator ..you need to clean it often

Solution