Correct Voltages?

BlackWyvern3

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, to most of you I am the thorn in your side! I come on here and ask, seemingly, asinine questions. I am by no means a technically inclined person, but I do enjoy dabbling with it and seeing what I can come up with. My newest project was to build a computer... I have a KT7 Raid mobo, 1.1 ghz athlon, 256 megs of PC 133 ram(which is good ram because I took it out and tested it with a friends ram and I still have the same problem), GE Force 2 MX card and an old 8 gig harddrive. My problem is that mysystem is very unstable. I was lead to believe that the KT7 VIA chipset was the problem in all my instablilty issues, adn perhaps it is, but I want to eliminate every possibility. I once heard a friend talking about increasing or decreasing voltage values can yield a more stable machine. I checked my BIOS and under the CPU settings, the voltage settings there are
Core Voltage= 1.750 v
I/O Voltage= 3.30 v
and then I checked the PC health status screen and these are the voltage values I got form there..
Core Voltage= 1.82v
3.3V = 3.35v
5v = 5.02v
12v = 12.00v

My question is what do you guys think I should do? what is the deal with voltage, and remember you are speaking to a relative newbie with this whole deal... My system freezing at times for no reason... I have checked a lot of things and I am trying to eliminate everything before I look into buying new parts and stuff..

Any help is greatly appreciated

G

don't believe what i'm going to say if you think i'm wrong, but i'm fairly confident that i gathered the correct info in these forums.

the only time you should increase the voltage is if you overclock your processor. the faster processing would cause more power consumptions, and increasing the voltage is an overclocker's way of compensating the extra needed power. since you declined to say if you installed the via 4in1 drivers or bios version 1005C or if you have a sound blaster live card, you should check up on those. those all have issues/solutions around them.

pekcle@hotmail.com

G

Your voltage is fine. Did your do a clean install on your operating system? What system are you running? The kt7-Raid MOBO is a little tricky the get running and stable(no duh),but here is a good resource to help. It helped me. Mine runs stable with a Duron 750 O/C'd to 1 gig.
Paul's unofficial ABIT KT7 Page:
http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm
Good luck

BlackWyvern3

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I upped my voltage from 1.75 to 1.80(core) and my I/O volateg from 3.30 to 3.40 and the system has run flawlessly ever since and I was running a processor intensive program all night long, chess engines. Although this may not work for everybody, I am so happy now and I can justify my 1000-1100 dollar upgrade... but with the constant freezes when running 3D or chess engines I couldnt. Thanks for the replies though