Correctly setting up GPU and Audio

Dracular

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hey,
This is my first post, and I hope some people here will have the knowledge to help me with this.

Basically I have a good system built. And it's running generally fine. But I think haven't setup the BIOS correctly for the Video and Sound, because Photoshop and Audacity are running very slow and not smoothly at all while I'm running on up-to-date drivers.

My setup:
6gb RAM
i7 920 CPU
ATI HD 4870 GPU
Windows 7 64-bit.
motherboard: ga-ex58-ud5 (http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud5(p)_e.pdf)

Sound problem:
I'm using a DAC + AMP combo to listen to music (so no soundcard involved) but I use my onboard soundcard for the microphone.
Audacity is running slow, which it shouldn't with this hardware setup. So I've been thinking this might be because my computer is confused as to what should deal with the sound, my DAC or soundcard.

Video problem:
Every time I start-up photoshop it shows me following message:

Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements.
Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software.

I continue running photoshop CS5.1 64-bit after this shows up, but not just is there a problem with GPU enhancement (I think OpenGL) but also with the general speed at which photoshop is working. It usually crashes pretty soon as well.
[/quote]

I might be wrong, but I think I should disable my onboard GPU in the BIOS (which I don't know how to) and probably try audacity with onboard sound disabled (also don't know how to).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dracular

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Ok I've deactivated the onboard soundcard in the bios now and that fixed the audacity problem: it's running smoothly again! A shame though that I can't use my microphone anymore.

As for the video problem, I did another clean install using Driver cleaner pro (paid version even...) and the problem remains. Also, as I just found out, my motherboard doesn't even have onboard GPU. So there shouldn't be a conflict. However, It is listed by photoshop as fully supported. So something is dodgy.