Correctly vs Not Correctly Installed Heatsink

C26000

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Hi ,I just wanted to show you , my personal experience with a not correctly installed CPU Fan, Both test were made using the CPU test suite of PCMark05 and I read the temperatures with SpeedFan 4.32 , My processor is a Core 2 Duo E6600 with stock heat sink in a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 board.

I didn't use a more reliable stress test because probably I'd had fried my CPU :S

With the heat sink incorrectly installed:
caseabiertopruebatemperib0.png

1 hour after with the heat sink correctly installed:

despuesdeposicinarcorreuh7.png

Learn from my experience if you are going to build your PC for first time ,make sure you install properly your heat sink or you can degrade your CPU for overheating. and yeah call me noob, I deserve it :(, it was the first time that I build my own pc but at least I fixed it quickly :)

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Nice post, people often forget an important part in the C2D temperature guide sticky: unproperly mounted HSF is the leading cause to overheating

I could post some of my reports too, but have no nice graph like you: 10 degree decrease with changing the way to apply the thermal compound

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
No offense, but I think you mean improperly installed heat sink, not CPU fan. Also, you should make it clear that this is the stock Intel heat sink. Although, it doesn't really matter, because this information is all over the forums and has been for quite some time.

C26000

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I fixed the mistakes (english is not my main language so I didn't know which one was the correct word), yeah I know that it's something that is not new at all, but a real life example sometimes is better for people who is new in this stuff , besides I find interesting that with the heatsink incorrectly installed the jump from normal to load temperatures is much higher than with it correctly installed