corrupt AND unrecognizable secondary HD

YFrankY

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Had a Seagate Barracude 2TB HD with Win10. It became corrupt and won't boot.

Replaced it with a 250GB SSD from SanDisk and added Win10

Hoped to examine the corrupt HD with intention of possibly pulling off select files.

Put HD in Aluratek disk caddy and connected to USB....PC never sees the HD even though it spins up. Replace corrupt HD with a different working HD used for data storage and it sees it and I can add or delete files from it

Tried EaseUS DataRecovery, Seagate SeaTools, Icare DataRecovery and DiskManagement. None show the drive being connected....they all only see the SSD.

Does the fact the HD contains a copy of Win10 on it cause an issue? Does a corrupt drive not show up? Any suggestions?

The fact that it has Windows installed on it shouldn't cause any problems if it's connected externally. You should be able to see it and use like any other drive.

Provided you tried to test it with SeaTools for Windows (not SeaTools for DOS which can't detect external drives) it should see it no problem unless the drive has totally failed, which seems to be the case.

That's why it's imperative that you back up your data on a regular basis before such things happen.

YFrankY

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Thanks for a prompt reply.
Yes I am using the Windows version of SeaTools
I thought that since it spins on startup, there may be a shot.
I even did some black magic and put it into the freezer....the only thing I got from that was embarrassment!

TRENDING THREADS