corrupt external USB drive

Bernardo Faria

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Hi all. I have a MemUp external USB 300GB hard drive that stopped working days ago. I MUST recover part of the files. When I turn on the drive, it appears in Windows Explorer with the letter I: and with the root folders and files apparently intact. But when I select any folder it seems empty. When I try to open any file on the root (for example, a TXT file) it appears the following message: "Cannot find the I:\___.txt file, Do you want to create a new file?". If I run "chkdsk I:" in the command prompt, it appears the following message: "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives." In the "Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management" the disk appears as "298,09 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)". When I run the disk properties, I can see the used space (247GB). I use Windows 7. Any ideas? Thank you

Bernardo Faria

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Trying your suggestion... I'm running a TestDisk 7.0 Deeper Search for two days and counting, it seems that the end is not near... Until now, a lot of "Read error at _____/0/1 (lba=_____)". Any ideas? I tried Recuva before, with no results.