Corrupt files: virus or HW related?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.

My system configuration is:
Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
AMD XP 2800+ Processor
2x 512MB RAM
Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA

I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
WD 120GB Caviar ATA

I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
(a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
WinXP)

The problem is:
Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!

First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
(RAM, etc.)
I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!

Have anybody experienced anything like this?
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
stable XP-system?

Betelgeuse74 wrote:

> I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
> plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
> partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.
>
> My system configuration is:
> Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
> AMD XP 2800+ Processor
> 2x 512MB RAM
> Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
> Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
> WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA
>
> I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
> WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
> WD 120GB Caviar ATA
>
> I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
> (a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
> WinXP)
>
> The problem is:
> Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
> and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
> becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
> error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
> fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
> I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
> reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
> downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
> lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
> past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
> corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
> RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
>
> First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
> try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
> However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
> the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
> (RAM, etc.)
> I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
> incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
>
> Have anybody experienced anything like this?
> Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
> stable XP-system?

Since you have problems with two different HDs, I'd be suspicious of the
power supply -- in particular, the ability of the PS to deliver enough
juice on the +12V rail. There are several PS calculators on the net,
such as http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply, which you can use as a
rough check to see if your PS is inadequate for your PC.
--
Cheers, Bob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I picked up on your power supply tip from your ans. to another matter.
Hmmmm? I checked and I am up to a possible 340 drain on a 300 watt power
supply.
Hmmmm? Thanks.

> Since you have problems with two different HDs, I'd be suspicious of the
> power supply -- in particular, the ability of the PS to deliver enough
> juice on the +12V rail. There are several PS calculators on the net,
> such as http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply, which you can use as a
> rough check to see if your PS is inadequate for your PC.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

I have seen exactly this sort of problem with a stick of memory that
had gone bad (after working fine for 3-6 months) - it turned out that
a few bits were "stuck", presumably in an area that was frequently
being used for file I/O, so files were, indeed, being corrupted!

On 11 Oct 2004 04:23:14 -0700, betelgeuse74@hotmail.com (Betelgeuse74)
wrote:

>I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
>plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
>partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.
>
>My system configuration is:
>Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
>AMD XP 2800+ Processor
>2x 512MB RAM
>Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
>Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
>WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA
>
>I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
>WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
>WD 120GB Caviar ATA
>
>I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
>(a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
>WinXP)
>
>The problem is:
>Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
>and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
>becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
>error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
>fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
>I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
>reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
>downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
>lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
>past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
>corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
>RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
>
>First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
>try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
>However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
>the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
>(RAM, etc.)
>I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
>incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
>
>Have anybody experienced anything like this?
>Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
>stable XP-system?

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<OUI#ZM5rEHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Since you have problems with two different HDs, I'd be suspicious of the
> power supply -- in particular, the ability of the PS to deliver enough
> juice on the +12V rail. There are several PS calculators on the net,
> such as http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply, which you can use as a
> rough check to see if your PS is inadequate for your PC.

Thanks for the tip! I've testet my configuration and it shows I need a
minimum 315W PSU. I have an Enermax Whisper 430W, so this should be
allright. I have not experienced any problems with this earlier, and
had a fully functional system before I installed the new disc.

I have heard rumours about problems with the Silicon Image Si3x12
S-ATA controller, which is onboard my Mobo, however I have not
confirmed this (and I have not yet searched the forum for any similar
error descriptions.)

I have downloaded the latest BIOS for Abit (which includes a Firmware
upgrade for the controller), and the latest drivers from windows
update (I have even tried the drivers from Siliconimage.com, but
Windows Update's version is newer)

I learned today that a buddy of mine had a similar problem with a
Silicon Image Si3x12 external S-ATA adapter (PCI). His experience was
that files copied to or from the S-ATA disc became corrupt. My
controller is onboard, but could this be related? It sure sounds
familiar!!

betelgeuse74@hotmail.com (Betelgeuse74) wrote in message news:<d2f94b65.0410110323.4959027d@posting.google.com>...

> The problem is:
> Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
> and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
> becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
> error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
> fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
> I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
> reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
> downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
> lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
> past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
> corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
> RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!

WOW!! I searched the Abit forums, and it was a well-known topic. The
problem lies with the Silicon Image controller. And there are many
tips on how to correct this. I haven't read up on the solution or
tried to fix/reinstall, but I will do that in the next couple of days.
I'll keeps you guys (and girls) posted!

In the mean time; Thanks for all your input, and if anybody knows a
good way to repair corrupt jpg-files I would REALLY appreciate it!

Betelgeuse74 wrote:

> In the mean time; Thanks for all your input, and if anybody knows a
> good way to repair corrupt jpg-files I would REALLY appreciate it!

You have just discovered the value of periodic backups.

==> An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of repair.
--
Cheers, Bob

Chris

Hi, which motherboard bios and sata drivers are you using. There is known
corruption issues particular to each version, this forum will have a post
that will help,
http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=7
Chris C
"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
>I have seen exactly this sort of problem with a stick of memory that
> had gone bad (after working fine for 3-6 months) - it turned out that
> a few bits were "stuck", presumably in an area that was frequently
> being used for file I/O, so files were, indeed, being corrupted!
>
> On 11 Oct 2004 04:23:14 -0700, betelgeuse74@hotmail.com (Betelgeuse74)
> wrote:
>
>>I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
>>plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
>>partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.
>>
>>My system configuration is:
>>Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
>>AMD XP 2800+ Processor
>>2x 512MB RAM
>>Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
>>Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
>>WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA
>>
>>I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
>>WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
>>WD 120GB Caviar ATA
>>
>>I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
>>(a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
>>WinXP)
>>
>>The problem is:
>>Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
>>and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
>>becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
>>error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
>>fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
>>I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
>>reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
>>downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
>>lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
>>past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
>>corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
>>RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
>>
>>First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
>>try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
>>However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
>>the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
>>(RAM, etc.)
>>I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
>>incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
>>
>>Have anybody experienced anything like this?
>>Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
>>stable XP-system?
>

> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
> exchange.
> Peter R. Fletcher

I think you may have intended to direct your comment to the OP - not
to me. My problem was definitely bad memory - the memory, when tested,
was clearly bad, and the problem did not recur after it was replaced.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:41:00 +0100, "Chris" <anon@school.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
>>>
>>>First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
>>>try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
>>>However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
>>>the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
>>>(RAM, etc.)
>>>I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
>>>incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
>>>
>>>Have anybody experienced anything like this?
>>>Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
>>>stable XP-system?
>>

>> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
>> exchange.
>> Peter R. Fletcher

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.

Of course I was Peter....