[SOLVED] Corrupt hdd

aunebrushan

Honorable
Nov 22, 2016
My samsung 860 evo, which is my secondary hdd has become corrupt. This is what is says on startup fix: d /windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt
How do i fix it? I get tons of bluescreens, without it im fine. Its a 1tb drive so throwing it away would be kinda sad.
I don't want to put it back in my system, i just did a clean install of windows and i don't want my other drive to get corrupted either. What do i do?

Solution
Disconnect your functioning Windows SSD, and boot from a recent USB installer media flash drive made from MS Media Creation Tool...

Begin the install process menu, but, delete all existing partitions.

Then, exit to command prompt, type disk part, then list disk

Select the SSD in question, then use the clean command.

Then try installing WIn10 to it just as an experiment...if it has failed as you detailed, it should have problems during the install or operation of Win10. IF you do have major issues with it, chunk it. (If under 3-5 years old, whatever warranty period applies...contact Samsung)
My samsung 860 evo, which is my secondary hdd has become corrupt. This is what is says on startup fix: d /windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt
How do i fix it? I get tons of bluescreens, without it im fine. Its a 1tb drive so throwing it away would be kinda sad.
I don't want to put it back in my system, i just did a clean install of windows and i don't want my other drive to get corrupted either. What do i do?
Depends how it got corrupted as that's usually only file system that gets corrupted. In that case you can just reformat it. Unless it happened because of some virus or malware, it's safe to connect it again.

aunebrushan

Honorable
Nov 22, 2016
Depends how it got corrupted as that's usually only file system that gets corrupted. In that case you can just reformat it. Unless it happened because of some virus or malware, it's safe to connect it again.
Yeah been there done that, i put it back in and it corrupted my main drive. It putting this <Mod Edit> in the trash. Praying that a clean install will fix main

Last edited by a moderator:
Disconnect your functioning Windows SSD, and boot from a recent USB installer media flash drive made from MS Media Creation Tool...

Begin the install process menu, but, delete all existing partitions.

Then, exit to command prompt, type disk part, then list disk

Select the SSD in question, then use the clean command.

Then try installing WIn10 to it just as an experiment...if it has failed as you detailed, it should have problems during the install or operation of Win10. IF you do have major issues with it, chunk it. (If under 3-5 years old, whatever warranty period applies...contact Samsung)

Solution