Corrupt memory issues

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I started having some BSOD issues with my custom built pc, it's less than 6 months old and had some virus scans show some issues it couldn't fix so I figured I'd just format and reinstall windows. Still had a bunch of errors so I assumed it was all a result of moving my programfilesdir as I use an SDD but I'm pretty sure now there is a memory issue.

Games are causing my pc to BSOD, my antivirus just crashes saying it had an error, and I'm getting windows errors right left and centre. Running a test with Memtest86 showed around 200k errors on just one and a half passes.

I'm hoping this will be the cause of all my errors as ram is pretty cheap to replace. I'll be doing a few tests overnight on individual sticks (I have two 8GB sticks). My major concern is, how do I determine is it is the slots that are corrupt, and not the ram itself?

If both sticks of ram show errors individually, does that mean both sticks are dead, or possibly that the slot itself has issues? I don't have another pc with compatible ram I can use to test, only my two 8GB sticks. Is there a way to specifically test the ram slots?

Pc specs
win 7 home 64 bit
i5-2500k 3.3ghz
16gb ram (2x8gb)
ati radeon hd 6850

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
First, an update. I checked both sticks individually and one is showing around 200 errors the instant I run memtest, the other showing no errors. I'm heading off to bed in a few so I'll run some more tests for longer later to be sure but so far things are looking pretty clear.

Second, I took your advice and checked the BIOS and the primary settings are all on automatic, but they seem right - 9 9 9 24. The secondary and third settings however, I have no idea what they mean or if it matters much.

I'm going to leave my pc on all day tomorrow and see if I get any BSOD's or errors and report back