Corrupt profile domain user account

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I need to make a new profile for a user who's current profile is corrupt. I don;t want to lose his settings so I need to copy them over from current profile. I've searched the net for information and everything I find deals with local user accounts, not domain user accounts that we have. So the process of going in to Ctrl Pnl and User Accounts is not going to work for me.

Can someone document in detail how I go about this process for a domain user account on an XP Pro desktop?

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
No, not using roaming accounts.

Instructions I have found state that to do what I want to do, I go into Ctrl Panel/ User Accounts. Well that's fine if the user account is a local account on the desktop but they're not, we use our domain accounts, and they do not show up in the User Accounts window in Ctrl Panel. You getting me?

As I said, most account settings are stored locally, if you are not using roaming profiles does not matter if it's a network or a local account. Look in Documents and Settings you will see his profile there. You don't do anything to backup settings in the control panel. Depending on what you want to backup you need to copy and restore files from his profile folder in Documents and Settings, possibly the registry.

If you are talking about re-doing his network account, that is not a "profile" but a network account, his profile does not get created untill he logs on to a computer. It's pretty easy to backup his network account settings, but depends on what OS you are using on the server. Really the only thing you need to check is logon script and group memberships.

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
ok, yes, his profile is located in the local disk. It is corrupt though. Can you give me detailed instructions on how to create a new profile for him keeping his settings and such intact?

You need the desktop, favorites folders, and need to backup Office settings, if it's Office 2003, there is a Save My Settings wizard that works well. If you have another office version take a look online how to save settings for that program. Although I was told by a co-worker before that the 2003 save my setting wizard will work on Office 2007, will just need to install that portion of Office 2003 on the system.

If you are looking for other settings, need to check on how to back them up, applications tend to place their files in different areas, some in the program directory some in the user directory.

Rename his old directory so nothing is lost instead of deleting it.