Question Corrupt windows, can't load bios

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
So I have an ASUS FX80G, and after a spill, everything works fine except Windows on it seems to be corrupt and won't load. So I'm trying to reinstall it through a USB stick, but to do this I need to set the boot order in the BIOS, however every time I try to load the BIOS it just doesn't work and goes straight to the OS, and it's so frustrating. Is there any way to force enter the BIOS, I've looked everywhere online and there isn't a single thing about this.

As additional info I have accessed the BIOS before, but that's like 1 in every 30 tries, and I need a way to access it whenever I want, also I can't change the fast boot setting since windows is corrupt and will never load. Also I have tried all of the commands for fixing windows like SCM, and a few more, and nothing works. So accessing windows won't happen.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you create the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Also for your laptop's GUI in BIOS, you should be able to see an option for boot override or the option to see what devices to boot into, provided the USB installer is plugged in to an available port.

At this point, the OS will not be repairable with CSM and such though you could try and force it into Automatic Repair mode though that is often moot in terms of results. I think the spill has taken the keyboard. Can you work with a USB driven keyboard?

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Did you create the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Also for your laptop's GUI in BIOS, you should be able to see an option for boot override or the option to see what devices to boot into, provided the USB installer is plugged in to an available port.

At this point, the OS will not be repairable with CSM and such though you could try and force it into Automatic Repair mode though that is often moot in terms of results. I think the spill has taken the keyboard. Can you work with a USB driven keyboard?
Nope, I downloaded an x64 iso that I found online, and then extracted it to the USB, so it's basically nothing but the installation files. As for the BIOS, I did set the options but it just doesn't "remember?" them after I disconnect the USB, however I also tried automatic repair and a bunch of other options, but all of them lead to problems on their own, so I just assumed it would be easier to do a fresh install.
So i have a progress update, in case anyone stumbles on this, I managed to get Windows to install just now by doing the following:

-remove all storage devices besides the USB
-laptop cover stays open
-laptop boots into USB, launches windows setup
-insert hard drive WHILE setup is active on-screen (this is dangerous with the cover open and all, so this was probably very foolish on my part, but it got the job done?)
-reboot laptop
-launches into USB once more since hard drive has no OS, and I think i set the boot priority to USB first yesterday, when I actually managed to get into the BIOS
-Follow the setup steps, and now currently it is installing onto the hard drive, fingers crossed

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Nope, I downloaded an x64 iso that I found online, and then extracted it to the USB, so it's basically nothing but the installation files. As for the BIOS, I did set the options but it just doesn't "remember?" them after I disconnect the USB, however I also tried automatic repair and a bunch of other options, but all of them lead to problems on their own, so I just assumed it would be easier to do a fresh install.
So i have a progress update, in case anyone stumbles on this, I managed to get Windows to install just now by doing the following:

-remove all storage devices besides the USB
-laptop cover stays open
-laptop boots into USB, launches windows setup
-insert hard drive WHILE setup is active on-screen (this is dangerous with the cover open and all, so this was probably very foolish on my part, but it got the job done?)
-reboot laptop
-launches into USB once more since hard drive has no OS, and I think i set the boot priority to USB first yesterday, when I actually managed to get into the BIOS
-Follow the setup steps, and now currently it is installing onto the hard drive, fingers crossed
Update: That failed, laptop rebooted and is stuck on ASUS loading screen indefinitely, I am giving up on this method, i'll attach a different hard drive with a functional OS to the laptop from a different computer, attach my SSD to the laptop, and then proceed to install a fresh WIndows from the functional HDD onto my SSD, if this works

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
That doesn't guarantee USB to become bootable.
Use rufus to create properly bootable usb installation media.
https://rufus.ie/
You're most certainly correct, I'm just too impatient to do that, and usually I Just do this and it works

Update: I'm currently posting from the messed up laptop, I attached an HDD with a functional OS and all seems to be good, I will now proceed to install a fresh OS on my SSD.