Corrupted disk structure.

neoplasm

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I'm running windows 10 on a Samsung 250gb SSD.
Along with it I have two 500gb seagate hard drives, each partitioned in half. Giving me 4 separate volumes from the OS which I used for games, music, picture, etc.

A couple of nights ago, I woke up to notice that windows had run a scheduled update and was now restarting but was stuck at 0% running a check disk on one of the volumes that belonged to one of the Seagate drives, which I'm pretty sure was the one I kept my steam games folder on. However I can't remember what else was on the other volume. As it was the middle of the night and the check disk was not advancing any further I turned off the PC in case the hard drive was failing so I could take a look at it later.

Later being today, the first thing I did was go into the disk management utility built into windows, where I quickly noticed that the drive is flagged as an Invalid Disk. A quick search led me to a tutorial that instructed to download a hex editor and look for a value of 42 in Sector 0 under line 1C0 and changing it to 07. Which I did, but the tutorial also instructed to look elsewhere for the same value under other lines in case the drive had several partitions, which is my case, however I couldn't not find the value in the other lines it suggested, and just changing all instances of the 42 value throughout the whole drive doesn't seem safe.

The problem I'm having is that the fix from the tutorial only partially worked, as the drive is no longer getting flagged as invalid, but windows still doesn't recognize the drive properly; it lists it as a RAW partition. Doing some more searching led me to download MiniTool Partition Wizard.

I ran the scan and it was able to find one of the volumes that was previously there, which I'm guessing is the one that was fixed by the hex edit from the tutorial. I closed the partition wizard without making any changes because it advised it would delete the missing partition as it saw it as unallocated space.

My question is; should I go ahead and do what the tutorial suggests and change all instances of the value 42 with the hex editor and then run the partition wizard to see if the other volume is found, or is there another tool that will solve my problem?

SkittishGaming

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

Are you trying to recover the files?

neoplasm

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Ideally, yes. I can do without the volume that contained the steam stuff as that all can be downloaded again, but I can't quite remember what was on the other one, and I'd like to be able to see what was on it before deciding what to do with the drive.

SkittishGaming

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

A local pc servis can recover lost memory.