Question Corrupted drive, won't boot into windows, detects in bios (NVME)

May 5, 2021
Hello, firstly thanks for any help in advance!

Story: Yesterday I was preparing my computer to reinstall windows, during a restart before I even began, I shut it down mid-boot. I turned it back on but it had gone to bios directly, which was a sign to me already that I must've screwed up the windows boot drive. Normally it would go through chkdsk and fix that up, but it didn't. So I carried on installing windows 10 anyway, it had shown the partitions of the drive, that I then deleted and made a new one and proceeded to install windows. I spent the whole day setting it all up, restarted many times, got all of the programs back up etc. I shut it down for the night. I turn it back on today and it goes straight back to bios as it did before I reinstalled windows.

Details: In the windows install tool it shows it as unallocated space, in GParted it shows it as unallocated as well. I tried to run sfc scannow from windows tool cmd prompt but that's also a no go.

8p2OYHb.jpg

I'm thinking I can try to do data recovery and then somehow fix the drive to be back in order and possibly clone the last windows install I did, which I'd definitely need help with. I'll be actively working on this all day and constantly watching the thread so if anyone wants to lend a hand that'd be great.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you fabricate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Furthermore, have you made sure that your BIOS for your platform is up to date? You also didn't mention whether this is a laptop or a desktop. In which case we'd need it's specs(latter) or it's SKU(former). Make and model of the SSD you're working with?

clone the last windows install I did
You're better off reinstalling the OS. Less hair pulling that way.

May 5, 2021
Hi, thanks.

Correct, downloaded directly from Microsoft. BIOS isn't fully up to date but I've been using this drive on this mobo for over a year now without problems.
Desktop computer, specs:

MSI Gaming PRO Carbon x370
AMD Ryzen 3600X
RTX 3080
32gb 3200Mhz FlareX

The drive in question: Intel® SSD 660p Series (512GB, M.2 80mm PCIe* 3.0 x4, 3D2, QLC) 149405

The issue is I've already re-installed Windows, what are the chances I do it again, I turn off the PC, and it's unallocated again?

TRENDING THREADS