Corrupted media files on hard drive are playing back the wrong files (Master File Table problem)?

Lunatique

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have a hard drive that has lots of videos and music, and when the computer crashed, that hard drive had to be checked for error by Windows, and after it it was checked, most of the media file became corrupted. When I try to play any file, it would actually playback a totally different file, and not even the right media.

For example, I play a video, and it would play back a music file located elsewhere on the hard drive instead, or playback another unrelated video file, but the playback would contain some artifacts as if the video is corrupted. The music files would do the same, playing back a different music file or a short snippet of a video file from elsewhere on the hard drive.

Is there way to correct this problem, with some kind of scan/correction of the Master File Table (I'm assuming that's what's been corrupted)?

Solution
if only you hadn't let windows fix it you could have save your file by using a recover software. but right now i don't think you can "fix it" since windows already corrected the file.

Lunatique

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

So once Windows corrects after a crash, there are not other options left? I didn't really have a choice anyway, since after the crash, the hard drive was malfunctioning and unless I let Windows correct it, I couldn't get the hard drive working properly.