Corrupted Micro SD Card????

Status
Not open for further replies.

macknillan

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Hello and thanks for looking
Im having serious issues with my micro sd card. Its for my droid and i have so much data on it not backed up :(((
It started when i went to delete a folder with about 1gb file size. My file manager app took a bit longer than usual to do this so i ended up force closing.
And the app was still hanging so i rebooted. Once everything loaded again the sd card wouldnt read.
I put in in a usb card reader and my pc wont read it. After about 5 minutes an icon with a drive letter assigned shows up but the total space and space used bar isnt there. My "My Computer" screen has a load bar at the top like its trying to read it but it never results in anything
I tried doing chkdsk in command and it just freezes and doesnt do anything
I tried data recovery software, it makes the application freeze until i remove the usb with my sd card.
So i cant even format it to get it to read
I did plenty of searching and i still cant find anything regarding my specific issue
Ive also rebooted my pc, same results

Anyone have any insight for me or is my micro sd card dead along with my data?
Thanks in advance!

Oh also ive tried the usb reader with another micro sd and it works fine so its not my reader

ChasG1564

Honorable
May 7, 2013

ChasG1564

Honorable
May 7, 2013
My daughter's microSD card recently died. (droid couldn't see it & computer couldn't see it) She was upset as she had many photos on the card that she hadn't backed up. We found a suggestion on the last paragraph of this page:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?34010-Dead-microSD-card-any-way-to-resuscitate-it

We didn't believe it would work but decided to give it a try. We had no alcohol handy so put the microSD in a saucer and drowned it in WD40 and left it overnight. Following morning we wiped it dry on a sheet of kitchen roll, and left it for an hour. Then preheated our oven to 220 degress Celsius and put the microSD card on a baking tray and placed it in the oven for exactly 15 minutes. Removed the baking tray from the oven and left the card to cool for an hour then put it in a USB card reader and - it worked! Just a few of her photographs were corrupted but more than 95% of them were saved. We shan't be trusting that microSD card again and she has already bought a new one but both amazed and delighted that this idea proved successful

maddlock

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

As funny as this may sound, I can confirm this works. I just resurrected a Kingston 32GB Micro SD card with the oven method: 5 mins @ 220°C. Even folders and files were there, just a few got corrupted. (I skipped the WD40 bit.)

oranges08

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Did u soak it in denatured alcohol or just went straight to the oven part? Got problem with my 64gb samsung micro HDSC... Been reading crap reviews abt this particular card..i regret having bought it without background check...i just really need to retrieve my files now...

maddlock

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

No, just put into the oven on some alufoil. Be careful though, as it will be piping hot for a few seconds after removal! I've also read that the card will eventually fail again, so it might not be a permanent solution. You might be able to get your files back, though...

julsbo

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

Do I need to take it out of the plastic case?

Christoph_2

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
yes you do! i know because i just baked my sd card without removing the plastic case and it melted. the card didn't contain any sensitive data and was pretty old so not a big loss ;)

BDertien

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Is that a pre-heated oven?

I have a 16gb sandisk micro-sd here that stopped working over a turn-off&back-on of my phone.
So far I have tried check disk from command prompt, which failed, check disk from windows menus, which also failed. Tried ZARecovery, which seemed to freeze just as explorer does when I try to access the particular card.
I am up to EaseUs Data Recovery now, which I used in the past, with good result, on a HD, so fingers crossed, otherwise I'm willing to try the oven.
But hey, pre-heated or not? :wahoo:

BDertien

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016

Atix

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Omg guys I had doubts about this method even though 2 people said it worked but I can also CONFIRM that it's legit and it works!!Obviously it's not 100% but it's definitely not a lie. I did the exact same. I soaked the micro sd card in alcohol for just 15 minutes then put it into the 240C preheated oven for 15 minutes then let it cool down for another 15 minutes and voaalaa, the card works again!! It's unbelievable :D

LHolmes

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Just posting to confirm that I tried the oven method and it worked. My microSD card from samsung went dead a few weeks ago and neither my phone nor computer showed it being connected. So I put it in alcohol for about 15 mins, then dried it off and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I pre-heated my oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit (which is roughly equivalent 220 Celsius) and put it in for 15 minutes. When it was done I let it cool off and sit for about an hour, then put it in my sd card adapter, connected to the computer and it worked! Now I am trying to hurry and extract my photos before something goes wrong again. Ordered a new microSD which should be here any day now ;) . Hope anyone else trying this has the same luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.