Corrupting Downloading Files

Jun 6, 2018
I have a 1tb flash drive I use for my computer, since my Drive D: got messed up, and every time I try downloading a game onto my Flash Drive, the downloading processing files corrupt. CONSTANTLY! It is getting a little bit annoying.

Solution

Yep that's a fake.

bignastyid

Titan
Whats the model of this 1Tb flash drive? Where was it purchased? I ask because there are alot of cheap fakes that use modified firmware to fake drive sizes. Evenb Amazon lists these fakes for ~$20. A real 1Tb flash drive currently costs alot more than a 1Tb SSD, ~$450+ for a 1Tb flash drive VS ~$200 for a 1TB SSD.

Jun 6, 2018

This is the drive I ordered, it is likely fake due to the evidence you brought to my attention with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPX28L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bignastyid

Titan

Yep that's a fake.

Solution

What was your first clue???

Why would you waste your $26?

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
h2testw.exe is the program you want to use to test flash memory capacity; you should do it will all flash memory, including branded products, because fakes can and do get into the supply chains.

It will read and write a unique file to EVERY empty cell on the device, then read it back; fake devices arent usually picked up by normal testing suites, as they test each cell in turn with the same data file, and the fake circuitry can fool them by writing the data to the real cells and claiming to have written it to the non existent cells.

It is slow though, so you will want to leave it running overnight to test a 1TB drive.

I would return it, and if you got it from that seller through Amazon, then let Amazon know that these are fake products. Looking at the reviews, people were posting about the drives being fake last year, but the seller still has them for sale and Amazon hasn't done anything about it yet.

It's possible to find some legitimate 128GB flash drives around this price range, but performance probably won't be ideal for running games off of them. You would probably be better off spending $40+ and getting a 1TB internal hard drive. Or $60+ for 2TB, if you think you can use the extra storage.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

Amazon are getting very bad at this; I reported several sellers for selling useless tat, and their response was to send me emails detailing what other useless tat these people were selling.