News Corsair’s PSU Expert Jonny Guru Weighs in on Nvidia Connector-Gate

If PC DIYers and enthusiasts are hoping for a little advice, as Nvidia and AIBs remain unnervingly quiet, JonnyGuru suggests the application of a little dielectric grease from Amazon to the power connector. This $4 investment is worth it for assured fitting of a $1500 GPU, commented the Corsair PSU expert.

yeah...no.
if you spend 1500$ on a gpu it shouldnt require you buying grease to PLUG something in.

if your plug is issue then the plug needs revised.
the seller's responsible for making sure its idiot-proof.

it isnt users fault the selelr wanted to make a new adapater to save space on pcb...they are massive already wouldnt of changed anything making it fit 3 or 4 8pins.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Of course no one is going to say it is their fault but the adapter looks cheap and was suspected as potentially problematic before the cards were even out.
The fact remain that if bending is a problem then it shouldn't be possible to bend it. NVidia probably is looking into it but most definitely focusing on spinning this as "not our fault" as much as possible

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
yeah...no.
if you spend 1500$ on a gpu it shouldnt require you buying grease to PLUG something in.

it isnt users fault the seller wanted to make a new adapter to save space on pcb...they are massive already wouldn't of changed anything making it fit 3 or 4 8pins.

^^THIS^^

Although I know for a fact that Dielectric grease is useful for some specific situations where it can help improve connectivity, reduce corrosion, and also provide some protection from dirt & moisture, THIS AINT ONE OF THEM :mad:

And blaming this issue on the users "not fully inserting the connector" sounds moar like
nGreedia paid JG to publish a statement that shifts the blame for a poorly designed/faulty connector away from them and onto the end users, in an effort to hedge off all of the upcoming lawsuits that they know are in the process of being filed as we speak....

Therefore, we must now consider the possibility that Corsair, JG, and nG are all in cahoots to try to make this issue go away, OR perhaps that nG has contracted with Corsair to design & manufacture a new, improved connector & cable that will....

As the saying goes: Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PEnns and wmeyer

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Doesn't really matter. If something is hard to insert, and designers know that, then releasing it without measures to ensure it is fully inserted or won't melt when it is not, are a must!

If not, you designed something badly. Make the thing easier to insert, include the grease, or make a latch that is very easy to see when it is not all the way in. Or you know, go back to dual 8s that are easier. There are a lot of options that they didn't take, then they just cranked the power up to a billion and hey what do you know!

Last edited:

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
yeah...no.

it isnt users fault the selelr wanted to make a new adapater to save space on pcb...they are massive already wouldnt of changed anything making it fit 3 or 4 8pins.

Exactly. I mean they could have fixed all of this by just saying, here is some grease you must use the grease. Nobody would have complained. Hell they could have even talked it up about it being so big it needed lube haha

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Jonny Guru just lost all credibility for me. User error and dialectic grease - what nonsense.
I agree that blaming the customer is not the answer, but he still may be correct about the root cause of the problem. The plausibility and/or correctness of his explanation, as far as I'm concerned, is the standard for judging his credibility. Clearly his expertise is in power supply issues, not customer relations.

^^THIS^^

Although I know for a fact that Dielectric grease is useful for some specific situations where it can help improve connectivity, reduce corrosion, and also provide some protection from dirt & moisture, THIS AINT ONE OF THEM :mad:

And blaming this issue on the users "not fully inserting the connector" sounds moar like
nGreedia paid JG to publish a statement that shifts the blame for a poorly designed/faulty connector away from them and onto the end users, in an effort to hedge off all of the upcoming lawsuits that they know are in the process of being filed as we speak....

Therefore, we must now consider the possibility that Corsair, JG, and nG are all in cahoots to try to make this issue go away, OR perhaps that nG has contracted with Corsair to design & manufacture a new, improved connector & cable that will....

As the saying goes: Removed by Moderator
Conspiracy theories with no merit or even sound logic to imply such things. Its laughable to believe Jonny Guru would do such a thing after building his reputation for years as an independent PSU reviewer for a little cash.
Jonny Guru just lost all credibility for me. User error and dialectic grease - what nonsense.
Thats right, throw out all of the context of his best guess and discredit him. Seems based. All he said was that with his testing of the plug (which is not representative of every plug made) he came to these conclusions. He even said that this is his own theory, not that he conclusively said its all user error. As a piece of advice to correcting what he believed was potentially the issue, he recommended some grease. Take it or leave it, its definitely not nonsense.
I agree that blaming the customer is not the answer, but he still may be correct about the root cause of the problem. The plausibility and/or correctness of his explanation, as far as I'm concerned, is the standard for judging his credibility. Clearly his expertise is in power supply issues, not customer relations.
He never blamed anyone. He said from what he can see and tell this may have been the issue and implied it was the fault of the connector, not the user for not knowing how difficult it really is to fully insert the plug.

Last edited by a moderator:

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Claiming the error is in insertion is BS. Might as well blame ghosts for it because there is no way to validate that condition on the 20+ cases of meltdown so far. This is like Apple blaming their customers for poor signal quality because they are holding it wrong.
You would think that a brand new fairly high power connection would have had clips/locks on the fittings, but they did bury the connection inside of a heatsink/PCB so I guess there was no way to reach a retaining clip.

KTB84

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021

He's also apparently the Corsair employee that publicly and erroneously called out Gamers Nexus and Guru3D for talking about how the 16-pin adapter can sense how many cables are connected and adjust power draw accordingly. He lost more than a little of his credibility as "THE PSU guy" after that.

The thing I find most interesting about this entire debacle is that I don't recall hearing any RTX 3090Ti cards having this issue. I know that not all of them had higher power limits than stock, but those that did seemed to have their own custom adapters (take the EVGA kingpin) and none seemed to have this problem. At the end of the day I think this all has to go back to the adapter and/or plug location.

Claiming the error is in insertion is BS. Might as well blame ghosts for it because there is no way to validate that condition on the 20+ cases of meltdown so far. This is like Apple blaming their customers for poor signal quality because they are holding it wrong.
You would think that a brand new fairly high power connection would have had clips/locks on the fittings, but they did bury the connection inside of a heatsink/PCB so I guess there was no way to reach a retaining clip.
How is it BS if this could very well be the issue. What qualifications do you have to say otherwise? Again as I have posted before, he blamed nobody. He emphasized greatly that the plug was truly difficult to fully insert to the extent that someone could believe that it is fully inserted when in fact it is not. This is in no way blaming the user, if anything its implying a fault with the design of the connector itself.

The thing I find most interesting about this entire debacle is that I don't recall hearing any RTX 3090Ti cards having this issue. I know that not all of them had higher power limits than stock, but those that did seemed to have their own custom adapters (take the EVGA kingpin) and none seemed to have this problem. At the end of the day I think this all has to go back to the adapter and/or plug location.
I would have to come to the same conclusion. Its either a fault with the design requirements related to the power demand of the cable, a fault of design with the plug or port, the lack of plug to port latches to hold the connector firm in the port and give users an obvious way of knowing if the cable is inserted all the way, poor manufacturing consistency of the plugs or ports, or a combination of the above. If I missed something please let me know...