Question Corsair 1000D 'creaking' issues

Snyper1010

Reputable
May 13, 2017
So, this may come across as very random but does anyone else who has the 1000D case have an issue with a regular creaking sound? It almost sounds like the case is settling under its weight but since I have now had this case for 4-5 months I doubt that is the reason. I have my pc sat on the floor due to the weight of the 1000D, I wanted to limit any issues that may have been caused by its sheer size. The case sits on carpet and so at first I thought the noises were simply the case settling in to position on said carpet but they continue to this day. I am just wondering if this is something that anyone else has experienced or may have a suggestion to rectify?

Ralston18

Titan
This case?

https://www.adorama.com/cscc901148ww.html

How is the case configured? What all is installed?

Does the case just creak when running or randomly creak even with the system being off?

Does the room have temperature swings? Is there some source of blowing air around?

My thought is metal on metal rubbing due to temperature related expansion/contraction.

If you gently press top, sides, etc. can you cause a creak?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My old CoolerMaster 690 had a creak, sometimes. It was due to the case being slightly out of square. Once it heated up it would shift slightly and pull on the plastic tabs holding the top cover on. The cure was to manually stress the case, from top right front corner to lower rear left. That'd stress the case opposite its comfortable rest position, putting it back in square.

You may have to loosen the frame screws, drive bay screws and reset their holding position. Do so 1 screw at a time, and wait to see if the creaks stop.

Snyper1010

Reputable
May 13, 2017
That is the correct case in the link.

Things have taken a turn for the worse over the last couple days. The system hasn't been running as it should and whilst running tests on the ram sticks it would appear that the sound isn't actually the case but appears to be coming from the gpu cooling block.

When I am at the pc I usually always have my headset on and the case door closed which is why I assume it seemed to be a case sound. Looks like I am going to require a system drain and not a case adjusted. Great...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
System drain. That would mean a full custom loop. Which should have Zero noise other than rad fans, and possibly an inductor on the gpu, typical coil whine.

But if the system has downgraded, I'd be tempted to think you have a blockage in the gpu of some sort, or the jetplate has somehow shifted and is obstructing flow.

Either way, a teardown is required, if the blockage is organic, you'd need a good flush and refill, if it's a chunk of something, you'll need detective work to figure out where that chunk came from (pump impeller?), if the jetplate has moved, the block will require disassembly.

Yeah, jumbo sized pain in the a.

Snyper1010

Reputable
May 13, 2017
Fortunately it was only built in October, so it is still under warranty. The only issue being that the case isn't the easiest thing to shift down stairs single handed. So I shall need to start looking to cash in some favours to get the thing down and on to its pallet so I can have it sent back to the builders and let them deal with the issue.