[SOLVED] MY GPU IS HITTING 80 DEGREES CELCIUS IN 5 MIN. PLEASE HELP

isseymiyake32

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Can someone who knows about custom builds please help me? i have a msi gaming x trio rtx 2080 super purchased only a few months ago. this card has been heating up to 80 degrees Celsius in a matter of 5 minutes. i am using a lian li cool 2(not the newer model) full form atx case and am using a push pull AIO 120mm(2 in the front & 2 in the rear of the rad) from corsair.
i have a rear fan and two upper fans pushing air out. can someone please give me suggestions on how to cool this gpu way the hell down? ive considered the airflow possibly being a problem but still, this card shouldn't be heating up like this.

Solution
I have a push pull 120mm aio setup from corsair. i have one rear fan and two upper vent fans. My GPU has been hitting 80 degress Celcius within 5 minutes of gaming. Please help.

The MSI RTX 2080 SUPER isa none reference card that runs hot when under load hence the triple fans.
You need decent Air flow thru your case so more extraction fans will be the go.

List your case and other specs to see what improvements can be done.

As a test, remove the side panel and have a desktop fan blowing into your case and pointing at the GPU and see if there is a difference in temps when under load.

isseymiyake32

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
I have a push pull 120mm aio setup from corsair. i have one rear fan and two upper vent fans. My GPU has been hitting 80 degress Celcius within 5 minutes of gaming. Please help.

The MSI RTX 2080 SUPER isa none reference card that runs hot when under load hence the triple fans.
You need decent Air flow thru your case so more extraction fans will be the go.

List your case and other specs to see what improvements can be done.

As a test, remove the side panel and have a desktop fan blowing into your case and pointing at the GPU and see if there is a difference in temps when under load.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Turing is toasty. :hot: Not unusual for that card to hit 80C on air.

2)Msi's 2080 Super Gaming X Trio looks to be a 285w card, but the GDDR6 memory has higher operating temperatures than GDDR5/X on Pascal; the card's heatsink has to deal with that too.

3)That's like the worst place you could've put that 120mm hybrid cooler, IMO.

1 rear and 3 top - not 2 - exhausts should help some.