lolermanlols123

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi all,

Currently, I have a B450M Steel Legend motherboard from Asrock and the Corsair 280x case. I plan on getting an aio and some fans, what fan and aio configuration/placement would be optimal for this situation?

Solution
Front intake, top exhaust.
As for the AIO, pick your poison; there's a tradeoff regardless.
Front mounted AIO: cooler cpu temps, warmer gpu temps
Top mounted AIO: warmer cpu temps, cooler gpu temps
Bottom: if you put any fans/rads here, it's just for aesthetics. Airflow through here is very poor.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bottom: if you put any fans/rads here, it's just for aesthetics. Airflow through here is very poor.

Solution

lolermanlols123

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
How much would vrm temps differ between a top and front mounted aio?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I couldn't really say by how much, only that it would be warmer compared to if the rad were mounted at the front of the case.

A top mounted rad creates extra air resistance and the heat coming off of the VRM wouldn't be able to get out of the case as quickly.
Also, because it's a liquid cooler, those same VRMs aren't getting the more direct cooling naturally provided by air coolers.

Unless you're about to put a 3900X in there, it should be alright.

Aug 17, 2020
I am using 2 intake in front, to exhaust at top my AIO is also placed at the top as the exhaust and i use a 3900x and a rtx 2060 that seems fine for me but i am going to get some fans for intake on the bottom to help cool the GPU a bit more and ill see how that affects the cpu temps but so far not had problems with my CPU getting hot