[SOLVED] Corsair 32GB Vengeance with Noctua nh-d15

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Will the ram get in the way of the noctua nh-d15 cooling fan?

Im putting it into a coolermaster h500 and never even thought about weather the ram would get in the way D:

Solution
thanks for such a detailed response! I guess Ill just have to wait and find out and if it doesnt go to plan, ill come back to this post. Im guessing it is gonna be a tight squeeze!

Although I can't say for sure, I would guess that the measurements and clearances could possibly include a margin for error, or includes a bit of headroom in the specs. Not much, but possibly a tiny amount.

I have no idea if that is true, but I wouldn't say it is impossible. If it is true, it could be exactly what you need for your setup.

Fingers crossed ;)

But as mentioned above, the Noctua NH-D15S is actually not a bad idea, and it is offset slightly away from the RAM modules and the top PCI-e x16 slot.

However there is more than enough...
I had to rasie the front fan on my NH-D15 about 4 milimeters to clear my Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (not the RGB Vengeance model). 3 milimeters could probably also be enough.

The Vengeance LPX modules are 31mm tall

According to the case specs, the H500 has clearence for 167 mm tall coolers

According to Noctua, the NH-D15 requires 165mm clearance with fan. (160mm without fan)

So it is going to be tight

-----
Sometimes people replace the front fan with a 120mm instead, to reduce height and RAM clearance. The reduction in cooling performce is reported by some users to be approx +2'c CPU temp.

I've also seen people completely removing the front fan, and just use the center fan, without loosing more than 4-5'c in cooler performance.

I don't remember the specs for the PCs the users had, and I didn't bookmark the posts, but it should be possible to look for again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grayy_

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
I had to rasie the front fan on my NH-D15 about 4 milimeters to clear my Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (not the RGB Vengeance model). 3 milimeters could probably also be enough.

The Vengeance LPX modules are 31mm tall

According to the case specs, the H500 has clearence for 167 mm tall coolers

According to Noctua, the NH-D15 requires 165mm clearance with fan. (160mm without fan)

So it is going to be tight

-----
Sometimes people replace the front fan with a 120mm instead, to reduce height and RAM clearance. The reduction in cooling performce is reported by some users to be approx +2'c CPU temp.

I've also seen people completely removing the front fan, and just use the center fan, without loosing more than 4-5'c in cooler performance.

I don't remember the specs for the PCs the users had, and I didn't bookmark the posts, but it should be possible to look for again.
thanks for such a detailed response! I guess Ill just have to wait and find out and if it doesnt go to plan, ill come back to this post. Im guessing it is gonna be a tight squeeze!

Apr 27, 2020
I've read a recommendation to go with the Noctua D155 which gives a tiny bit more clearance. I am using the Patriot D4400 which has a high heat sink but on the safe side, I am using the recommended second slot of bank 0 which gives me more clearance and for the second stick, I use bank 1.

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
I've read a recommendation to go with the Noctua D155 which gives a tiny bit more clearance. I am using the Patriot D4400 which has a high heat sink but on the safe side, I am using the recommended second slot of bank 0 which gives me more clearance and for the second stick, I use bank 1.
Interesting. Ill have to wait and see when I can get the full build in. thanks for the comment

Although I can't say for sure, I would guess that the measurements and clearances could possibly include a margin for error, or includes a bit of headroom in the specs. Not much, but possibly a tiny amount.

I have no idea if that is true, but I wouldn't say it is impossible. If it is true, it could be exactly what you need for your setup.

Fingers crossed ;)

But as mentioned above, the Noctua NH-D15S is actually not a bad idea, and it is offset slightly away from the RAM modules and the top PCI-e x16 slot.

However there is more than enough clearance on the NH-D15 fins for the Corsair Vengeance RAM. The bottom fins on the NH-D15 are cut down in size to acommodate the RAM, and they are cut away quite far up the side of the cooler that face the RAM.
The only possible clearance issue is because of the front fan specifically.

So if you have a NH-D15 on order, you can acheive the same cooling performance as the NH-D15S, if you ditch the front fan on the "regular" NH-D15 (or replace it with a 120mm instead of a 140mm)

But that's only neccessary if you do run into problems because of the front fan and case clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grayy_
Solution