Question Did I screw up the fans for the Corsair 5000D Airflow case ?

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
I don't know how, but i somehow misread about the Corsair 5000D Airflocase and thought i get 3 fans in the front, but it's actually 2 in the front and one at the back. I ordered 4x Arctic P12 PWM-PST ARGB.
I wanted to put 3 on top. Where should i put the 4th one for best airflow/cooling? or you would do something different ?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Don't put three fans on top. Two of them will suck out fresh air sucked in by the front intake fans.
One fan on top is enough, esp. if it's 140mm.

if the option is still available,
i would actually exchange the new 4x 120mm for 140mm.

the same spec 140mm fans vs 120mm will provide more airflow with less noise generation.
This is technically correct, but I wouldn't recommend it just the same. Corsair made the cutouts in the front the size of 140mm, but they centered it on 120mm so if you use 3x 140mm fans they'll be offset and likely cause more noise and turbulence.

Corsair made the cutouts in the front the size of 140mm, but they centered it on 120mm so if you use 3x 140mm fans they'll be offset and likely cause more noise and turbulence.
maybe if you're using cheap fans with cheap screws without washers then they may cause some excess noise.

but, if you've seen the inside-front panel for the 5000D Airflow;
when using 3x 120mm fans the top & bottom fans are actually off center because the cutouts are designed to house 140mm fans.
when using 140mm they are more evenly aligned to the cutout.

maybe if you're using cheap fans with cheap screws without washers then they may cause some excess noise.

but, if you've seen the inside-front panel for the 5000D Airflow;
when using 3x 120mm fans the top & bottom fans are actually off center because the cutouts are designed to house 140mm fans.
when using 140mm they are more evenly aligned to the cutout.
I'm using one and you're 100% wrong they're absolutely centered on 120mm despite the holes being 140mm size it's one of the complaints I had about the case. If you for some reason don't believe me go watch the GN video on the case and if that doesn't do it I can upload a picture.

Reactions: 35below0

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
with an air cooler:
3x front intake,
1x rear exhaust,
1x top-rear exhaust.

if using an AIO cooler it would be significantly different.
Is it good to remove 1 default 120mm fan and put 3x Arctic 120mm in front and also remove default fan from the backside and put 1x Artic 120mm,and use those two fans on top as exaust ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it good to remove 1 default 120mm fan and put 3x Arctic 120mm in front and also remove default fan from the backside and put 1x Artic 120mm,and use those two fans on top as exaust ?
Test, then compare... what is stopping you from doing the only way to find out what configuration works best?
This has been the unspoken elephant in the room for almost all airflow threads.

Configuration depends on the type of CPU/GPU cooler you have in your system. If it's air cooling for both you do not want exhaust fans causing turbulence and pulling clean air away from the CPU cooler. This is why they recommended the specific configuration of fans.

If there's an AIO involved things become more complicated due to the possibility of using the side.

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
Configuration depends on the type of CPU/GPU cooler you have in your system. If it's air cooling for both you do not want exhaust fans causing turbulence and pulling clean air away from the CPU cooler. This is why they recommended the specific configuration of fans.

If there's an AIO involved things become more complicated due to the possibility of using the side.
MB MSI B650 Tomahawk, GPU RX 7900 GRE CPU Ryzen 7 7800X3D And Cooler is Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB....what would you suggest ?

Reactions: Popikaify
Awesome thanks,wanted to make sure its good.Ill just put 2x on top and thats it
You don't want two in the top, you want one on top in the back and the one in the back of the case because the middle fan slot in the top will be right over the CPU cooler intake which is something you don't want. At best it will cause turbulence, but it will also likely pull clean air away from the cooler.

Last edited:

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
This case comes with 2 preinstalled 120mm CORSAIR AirGuide fans,i have 4x more Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB 120mm fans,how can i make this work with the best airflow possible with what i got.Im using RX 7900gre,7800x3d ,B650 Tomahawk and Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB.

I was thinking to put 3x Arctic P12 PWN PST in front as intake fans,1x Arctic P12 PWN PST as rear exaust,and use 2 prebuilt fans on top as exaust,or one is enough on top ?

1.jpg
3.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Arctic fans at the front(intake) and rear(exhaust), while the two Corsair fans can go on the roof set to exhaust. Or ditch the Corsair fans altogether, have the heat ventilate passively.

Feb 2, 2024
That sounds like a decent plan and about as good as its going to get for this case. I foresee the overall air stream being quite chaotic with much of the air interacting with the gpu, mobo, and cpu cooler breaking up the stream than much of it extracted up through the roof.
Id say probably best to keep the cpu fans (rear, cpu itself, and front aligned fan) noticeably faster to prioritize the cpu cooling. More valid if the cpu is one that runs hot by design.

The issue with 120mm is due to their rather small diameter they will be rather loud.

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
Arctic fans at the front(intake) and rear(exhaust), while the two Corsair fans can go on the roof set to exhaust. Or ditch the Corsair fans altogether, have the heat ventilate passively.
I will do it that way,but will put 1x corsair fans on top as exaust,i think its still better to have 1 than nothing .

So 3x arctic in front as intake,1x arctic as rear exaust,and 1x corsair on top.But some people say i shouldnt put 2 fans on top because its getting rid of clean air from cpu cooler

What will be your cpu cooler?
If you use a normal tower type air cooler, I would not put any fans on top.
They will tend to divert the intake cooling air up and out of the case without doing much good.

That is just theory. If you want, mount a fan on top and experiment to see if disabling it helps or hurts.

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
What will be your cpu cooler?
If you use a normal tower type air cooler, I would not put any fans on top.
They will tend to divert the intake cooling air up and out of the case without doing much good.

That is just theory. If you want, mount a fan on top and experiment to see if disabling it helps or hurts.
Sorry for late reply,im using thermalright phantom spirit 120 SE rgb.I mean if its better to leave top without fans,sure i wont put it.