Question Corsair 5000D Airflow vs Corsair 7000D Airflow ?

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Planning a new build with either the Corsair 5000D or the 7000D Airflow. Space is unlikely to be an issue, so the form factor difference isn't critical. Since I would like a well-performing system while also favoring silence, if I go for the 5000D I would probably use the "cheating" (5mm thicker than industry standard) Phanteks T30 120mm fans and twin radiators with a custom cooling loop if I go the 5000D route. With a 7000D, I get the freedom to use larger radiators and 140mm fans, which may offer a marginal improvement in noise levels and/or performance. The nice thing about the 140mm fans is I can get much cheaper but quiet and performant Arctic P14 PWM fans, and the savings over the Phanteks would more than pay for the more expensive 7000D case. The downside is I'd then have to spring for more expensive (although again more performant) 420mm radiators.

Are there any major flaws in either setup, assuming they're more or less identical in price (especially when factoring in other component costs)?

Lutfij

Titan
In the world of watercooling, over radding(whereby you over compensate with thicker lower fin density radiators) and go push pull or even look at Alphacool's Monsta radiators, to help keep your fans speeds to minimum(not to mention you can look into Noctua fans for the touch of quality and silence) to help keep noise and temps down.

Yes, larger fans will push more air at the same RPM, but please be wary that high static pressure fans are what you need with watercooling radiators. You can get away with lower static pressure fans if you go for a radiator with a low FPI(fins per inch) count.

You might want to read through the watercooling sticky in my sig space. Holds a lot of info in it and the person curating it has put countless hours behind the guide/sticky.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I had a Corsair 760T, Looked at the 4000, 5000, 7000, all nice cases.

Another good case you should look at and the case I went with (nothing wrong with your choices) is the LI LIAN MESH III it comes with four 140mm fans !!!!!!!!! I really like that gives it a good value, it can do the 280-360mm radiators, manual says it can do the bigger ones (420mm), but gamers nexus said that was hard or not possible (check the reviews). I don't use radiators so not an issue. I believe he said too the 5000D was tight on getting some of the connections made for the 24 pin.

Its a great case.

I will say I like the top of the 5000 I checked out how it has a space between the metal grate and the fan areas thats kinda cool.

You can't go wrong with any of these choices, just throwing out some options.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
In the world of watercooling, over radding(whereby you over compensate with thicker lower fin density radiators) and go push pull or even look at Alphacool's Monsta radiators, to help keep your fans speeds to minimum(not to mention you can look into Noctua fans for the touch of quality and silence) to help keep noise and temps down.

Yes, larger fans will push more air at the same RPM, but please be wary that high static pressure fans are what you need with watercooling radiators. You can get away with lower static pressure fans if you go for a radiator with a low FPI(fins per inch) count.

You might want to read through the watercooling sticky in my sig space. Holds a lot of info in it and the person curating it has put countless hours behind the guide/sticky.
I was thinking of having 2x 420mm Bykski full copper radiators. They're only 28 or 30mm (different websites throw out different numbers) but hoping that the copper channels/chambers will add some efficiency with a proper fan configuration. I was actually thinking Arctic P14, lots of opinion out there that these are unbeatable price/performance and very silent. I don't mind paying for Noctua if they offer a perceptible benefit: I think they might in the 120mm segment, although even there the Phanteks T30s currently beat them in terms of accoustically-normalized cooling performance. Considering I will be needing a lot of fans if I go push-pull on both radiators, it may make more sense to go Arctic.

I believe the Arctic P14 are indeed static pressure.

Thanks, the sticky looks super informative!

I had a Corsair 760T, Looked at the 4000, 5000, 7000, all nice cases.

Another good case you should look at and the case I went with (nothing wrong with your choices) is the LI LIAN MESH III it comes with four 140mm fans !!!!!!!!! I really like that gives it a good value, it can do the 280-360mm radiators, manual says it can do the bigger ones (420mm), but gamers nexus said that was hard or not possible (check the reviews). I don't use radiators so not an issue. I believe he said too the 5000D was tight on getting some of the connections made for the 24 pin.

Its a great case.

I will say I like the top of the 5000 I checked out how it has a space between the metal grate and the fan areas thats kinda cool.

You can't go wrong with any of these choices, just throwing out some options.
That looks like a nice case, I'll take a close look at it.

I did see the Gamers Nexus 7000D review. Their biggest gripe with the 7000D was whether it offered enough value to justify the price spike over the 5000D. Some of the features (e.g. the extra door behind the right panel) are not particularly necessary, but you pay for them anyway.

The main benefit I see so far in the 7000D is better performance and acoustics with 420mm radiators/140mm fans.

Reactions: sonofjesse