[SOLVED] Corsair 500D SE Question

Nov 29, 2020
So it's hard to determine things before buying, but seeing as I don't have a lot of money to spare, I'd like to make sure before I make any purchases. This is my question: Is it possible to mount an Asus GeForce 2080ti Strix GPU vertically in Corsair's 500D SE case? I know I need a PCI-E riser cable, but I'm wondering if the vertical mounting brackets are even big enough to do so.

Solution
Depends on things like:
-Gpu power draw. More power = more heat.

-The cooler's proximity to the side panel. The closer those fans are, the less air volume they're going to be able to push into the heatsink. Air is drawn by way of a frontal cone, not out from the sides.

-Chassis airflow. How air moves through the chassis with V or H gpu is different. Air can't go through psu shrouds either, so the air being ejected out the bottom ends up circulating back into the cooler.
Some heated air does make its way into the cooler in the horizontal position, but with vertical, plus with a psu shroud, the volume of heated air fed back into the cooler is greater.

TL;DR: I'd expect 80C+ under load.
Obviously, you're still welcome to try it. Perhaps...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sure it'll fit, but the vertical brackets should generally be avoided with air cooled cards anyway. They are positioned very close to the side panel window, thus you will likely choke the card.
Make sure the V-gpu kit you get makes use of the horizontal PCIe brackets instead.

Nov 29, 2020
I'm sure it'll fit, but the vertical brackets should generally be avoided with air cooled cards anyway. They are positioned very close to the side panel window, thus you will likely choke the card.
Make sure the V-gpu kit you get makes use of the horizontal PCIe brackets instead.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm aware of the risk in having it close to the side panel. However, since I do not plan to overclock it, nor do I regularly play graphically intensive games (the ones I do play regularly are DOOM and DOOM: Eternal, and, eventually, Cyberpunk 2077), I figure it might still be okay there. I will, however, look into getting a vertical gpu kit if the temps do get too high for my tastes.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ever since Nvidia's 10 series, overclocking their gpus has been less productive than it once was. Thanks to Gpu Boost, these last 3 gens automatically boost, or overclock, the core frequencies on their own, depending on thermals.
The cooler they run the better - all this is excluding power limits.

Even if you don't plan to OC, it could still get toasty.

Reactions: JosieGoth
Nov 29, 2020
Ever since Nvidia's 10 series, overclocking their gpus has been less productive than it once was. Thanks to Gpu Boost, these last 3 gens automatically boost, or overclock, the core frequencies on their own, depending on thermals.
The cooler they run the better - all this is excluding power limits.

Even if you don't plan to OC, it could still get toasty.

The question is how toasty. As long as it stays below a certain amount, it should be good to go, I think.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on things like:
-Gpu power draw. More power = more heat.

-The cooler's proximity to the side panel. The closer those fans are, the less air volume they're going to be able to push into the heatsink. Air is drawn by way of a frontal cone, not out from the sides.

-Chassis airflow. How air moves through the chassis with V or H gpu is different. Air can't go through psu shrouds either, so the air being ejected out the bottom ends up circulating back into the cooler.
Some heated air does make its way into the cooler in the horizontal position, but with vertical, plus with a psu shroud, the volume of heated air fed back into the cooler is greater.

TL;DR: I'd expect 80C+ under load.
Obviously, you're still welcome to try it. Perhaps it won't be as bad as I'm making it out to be...

Solution