[SOLVED] corsair 650 80 plus gold

Jul 17, 2020
hi i have recently bought a corsair tx 650 80 plus gold power supply, everything was in the box including a power lead it said 13 amps and was wondering if that is right for this power-supply because on my old power supply i tried a 13 amp lead and it damaged my gpu (old power supply lead was a 5 amp, i haven't plugged in the 13 amp into my new psu ive plugged in my old lead just in case.

Solution
5a is good for over 1000w watts (wso its ok to use.

The 13amp one supplied though is likely to be better quality and there's no reason not to use it.

A mains socket to psu cable can't damage anything unless its actually faulty and has a short somewhere.

Your gpu incident was likely coincidental
Do no re-use cables from a different model of power supply, that can cause many issues up to damaging the power supply and motherboard or other components. Use the cables that came with the power supply and make sure the cables are in the right connections on it. Don't use the PCIe slots for the SATA cables for example.

5a is good for over 1000w watts (wso its ok to use.

The 13amp one supplied though is likely to be better quality and there's no reason not to use it.

A mains socket to psu cable can't damage anything unless its actually faulty and has a short somewhere.

Your gpu incident was likely coincidental

Last edited:
Solution
hi i have recently bought a corsair tx 650 80 plus gold power supply, everything was in the box including a power lead it said 13 amps and was wondering if that is right for this power-supply because on my old power supply i tried a 13 amp lead and it damaged my gpu (old power supply lead was a 5 amp, i haven't plugged in the 13 amp into my new psu ive plugged in my old lead just in case.

This doesn't even make sense.

How is a power cord capable of higher current AC going to damage a GPU running on DC.

Answer: It doesn't.

A PSU only draws whatever power from the wall it needs to deliver the proper amount of DC to your components. You can have a 25A power cord and it's not going to make any difference.