[SOLVED] Corsair 650 Bronze, did I screw up my build?

Sep 3, 2021
First system I've built in over a decade and with prices now I had to cut corners to get what I could. I ended up with a Corsair 650 Bronze because new I got this for about $70
The system I built is mainly for 3D work, but not video.
i9 18500k 10 core 3.2/5.2 boost (OC'd with MSI Gaming OC in preset BIOS but it behaved a bit dodgy in Blender)
Corsair H100i liquid cool 240mm
64 GB DDR4 Corsair 3600 (running XMP)
MSI MPGz490 Gaming Wi-Fi Mobo
MSI 1660ti Ventus
2 Samsung SSD 6GB DDR6
2 Seagate 4GB 3.5" SATA 6
Corsair D4000 case, 3x120mm front, 1x120mm rear exhaust
and Corsair 650W Bronze

with the price of GPU's right now (mine went from $270 in 2019 to $599 now) I'm not planning on adding much of anything in the near future; otherwise is the PSU going to be adequate or did I overestimate its flexibility?

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, it's kind of an odd choice, quality-wise, given the expense of most of the other parts, but it's not a bad PSU by any means and you're not using a particularly power-hungry or spikey GPU. If this were a 3070 or something, I would consider it an under-provision.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, it's kind of an odd choice, quality-wise, given the expense of most of the other parts, but it's not a bad PSU by any means and you're not using a particularly power-hungry or spikey GPU. If this were a 3070 or something, I would consider it an under-provision.

Solution
Sep 3, 2021

I had to make cuts somewhere. $120 for a 750 or $75 for a 650, I put the $ towards another 32GB, 3D work will chew up 32 very quickly.

I had to make cuts somewhere. $120 for a 750 or $75 for a 650, I put the $ towards another 32GB, 3D work will chew up 32 very quickly.
Just for future reference, the PSU is not a place to cut costs. Everything in the system depends on it. The CX is a decent budget model so you should be able to use it for several years. Moving forward, if upgrading to a better video card, I suggest you include the price of a higher quality PSU in your budget. Cheers.