[SOLVED] Corsair 650 w psu

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hi ,if i get a 650w psu, and i require 578 w, will my electric bill charge me for the full 650w???? And should i get a 650 tx,,or cx???

Solution
No, it doesn't work that way, and the amount of power your PSU uses is along the lines of a few dollars per year anyhow.

Your system uses what it uses, and aside from a VERY small amount of waste (Less with higher efficiency models like Gold or Titanium versus Bronze or White), it only ever uses what it needs. Your system will use the same amount whether you are using a 500w PSU or a 1000w PSU, but there are other factors involved regarding how efficiently it uses power in a given range but that mostly affects how much HEAT it produces as waste and has little overall to do with your electric bill.

TX is better than CX.

Full Corsair hierarchy can be found here:

http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html
No, it doesn't work that way, and the amount of power your PSU uses is along the lines of a few dollars per year anyhow.

Your system uses what it uses, and aside from a VERY small amount of waste (Less with higher efficiency models like Gold or Titanium versus Bronze or White), it only ever uses what it needs. Your system will use the same amount whether you are using a 500w PSU or a 1000w PSU, but there are other factors involved regarding how efficiently it uses power in a given range but that mostly affects how much HEAT it produces as waste and has little overall to do with your electric bill.

TX is better than CX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic 40
Solution
Agreed, and I was going to mention that but spaced it. You definitely want a 750w PSU if your system can ACTUALLY pull 550-600w from the socket. There are few systems that can though aside from those running highly overclocked CPU and GPU configurations or the newer RTX 30 series cards with a high TDP CPU. Or multiple graphics card systems.

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

TX is better than CX.

Cool, thanks very much. So i should add fans to maximize airflow? Already have 2 front and 1 back , and have 2 empty spots up top

Cool, thanks very much. So i should add fans to maximize airflow? Already have 2 front and 1 back , and have 2 empty spots up top
You're probably ok with the fans you have. If you want to put a single exhaust fan at the top you can at the top-rear. Do not put an exhaust fan in the top-front as it will draw air away from the CPU.
Edit: This assumes you have 2 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust.

Last edited:

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
What are your full hardware specifications including CPU, graphics card and case model as well as the model of any installed fans AND whether each fan is oriented as an intake or exhaust fan?
ok, im going to have a i7-4670k/gtx1660super 6gb oc, 16gb ram, 2 ssd disks, 1 hdd disk, ans a corsair 450w psu,
my case is the
Corsair Carbide Spec-01 Red

I would not go with a 450w power supply, for several reasons.

For one, there are not many 450w units out there that are very good, and those that are, are typically more expensive than some pretty good 550w units. Which leads to the second reason why.

If you ever decide to upgrade your graphics card, you will MOST LIKELY NEED a 550w unit, which means you'd end up having to upgrade the power supply, again, when you could have just done it one time and been done with it for five or ten years. A good power supply will last through two or three builds usually. A cheap one is lucky to make it through a single build, if that, and hopefully it doesn't wreck your shiznit in the process.

For that system, a 550w unit would be appropriate unless you are looking at something like the Corsair RM450, Seasonic Focus Gold 450w, Bitfenix Formula Gold 450w, Fractal design Edison M 450w or something equally good quality. And ALL those units are more expensive than what you could get a good or at least decent 550w unit for that would be just fine, for this, or even an upgraded graphics card down the road.

I know you're in a region where it might be more difficult to obtain good hardware, but take a look at the following two links and use them to help you find a suitable 550w unit within your budget from among the units that are recommended at either link.