Corsair 650D and heat

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
The Corsair 650D has just about everything I want.

One feature is that I will have a minimum of 5 hard drives (video, audio, backups, etc) in this case (it accepts 8 in the 2 cages), and I'm concerned about air flow. In the first Corsair Obsidian (forget the number) the drive cages were fixed, and the next release provided the option of making the drives horizontal. Comments in reviews imply that this has lowered temperatures because of the improved air flow.

My concern is that with so many hard drives air flow will be restricted and heat a problem.

If anyone has any experience with this or comments I would appreciate your feedback.

Regards, and thanks

Tom C

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

They are big drives.

Tom C

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

I won't be removing any cages. I'll need them.

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Let's say I put 8 drives into this case (Corsair 650D). That's a lot of BTUs. Given the implication in some reviews that the option of making the drives horizontal, and maybe removing one of the cages, has improved air flow and keeps temperatures down; I'm concerned if I do use the cages as I expect that temperatures will rise and minimize equipment life.

Has anyone experience with this issue? Is it likely that not all drives will generate heat if they are not accessed or do drives generate heat at idle. The simple question is, can I trust that it will keep 8 drives cool.

Regards,

Tom C

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I think my wording of the question has confused some. I am planning to use all 8 drives in this case. The concern is how this will impact internal case temperature with all 8 being used. I understand that 1 cage which holds 4 drives can be removed but I'm not going to be doing that.

Since I will eventually have 8 hard drives installed air flow will be reduced and I am concerned how that will affect internal temperatures. It is clear Corsair had changed the original configuration so I am anticipating there was some negative impact on temperature.

Has anyone used this case with 8 hard drives, or does anyone have any information how temperatures will be affected with 8 drives in the cages.

Thanks for any responses.

Tom C

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I understand the re-positioning of the cages, however, and I'm not an expert on cases, but with all the potential heat that could be generated, it woud seem another fan on the side would introduce a lot more cooling air.

I just noticed a day or two ago that Corsair has introduced the Carbide 500R, which does contain a 200mm fan on the side panel. I'm curious to see some reviews comparing cooling capacity.

Regards,

Tom C

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Also, and I should mention this will be my first build, I was googling and found Corsair does have a mesh insert for the 650d that will support 4 additional fans. As an old program/product manager I was concerned to see some of the configuration changes being made to the positioning of the hard drive cages and sensed there may be some heat issues, but the reviews I found seem to test under minimal HD use.

I suspect the mesh insert will address my heat concerns.

Tom C

TRENDING THREADS