[SOLVED] Corsair 750M coil whine after installing new cpu cooler and potential shorting ?

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
So this PSU is starting to scare the <Mod Edit> out of me. First off when i look it up on forums it gets bad reviews for anything more than a basic desktop, second of all when i turned my PC on after installing a new cooler ( Corsair h100x ) it wen't fine except for a new coil whine. It ran for about 5 minutes with no issues but then i inserted the bottom dust filter on the case while the rig was on and got greeted by a shutdown once the magnets on the dust filter settled on the case.

My specs :

i5-9600k OC to 4.8Ghz
Gtx 1080 Founders Edition
Asus z390 UD
16GB ram
2xSSD 1xHDD
And the spooky Corsair 750m PSU

Should i swap it out ASAP ? And what would you guys recommend ? I'm not a big fan of my rig just shutting off by simple touches on the case and the coil whine when idle isn't really fun either. Also the PSU has low buzzing noise when the computer is turned off but you really don't hear it unless you but your ear really up there !

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So this PSU is starting to scare the <Mod Edit> out of me.

Why?

First off when i look it up on forums it gets bad reviews for anything more than a basic desktop

Where?

Second of all when i turned my PC on after installing a new cooler ( Corsair h100x ) it wen't fine except for a new coil whine.

ALL you did was install an AIO cooler and nothing else?

It ran for about 5 minutes with no issues but then i inserted the bottom dust filter on the case while the rig was on and got greeted by a shutdown once the magnets on the dust filter settled on the case.

Sounds like a short somewhere. Loose connection that you hit with the filter.

Pretty sure you mean...
So this PSU is starting to scare the <Mod Edit> out of me.

Why?

First off when i look it up on forums it gets bad reviews for anything more than a basic desktop

Where?

Second of all when i turned my PC on after installing a new cooler ( Corsair h100x ) it wen't fine except for a new coil whine.

It ran for about 5 minutes with no issues but then i inserted the bottom dust filter on the case while the rig was on and got greeted by a shutdown once the magnets on the dust filter settled on the case.

Pretty sure you mean CX750M, right? Or CS750M? Or TX750M?

Should i swap it out ASAP ? And what would you guys recommend ? I'm not a big fan of my rig just shutting off by simple touches on the case and the coil whine when idle isn't really fun either. Also the PSU has low buzzing noise when the computer is turned off but you really don't hear it unless you but your ear really up there !

I seriously doubt that the PSU is what caused the shut off when you inserted the filter. Could have been anything. But without seeing how bad of a job you did building your PC, I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
Why?

Because of the sudden increase in Coil whine, increased heat coming from the PSU and the sudden shutdown. All of those doing idle loads.

Where?

When i look up my specific model mostly negative things pop up on overclocking sites to reddit to even this forum.

Yes only the AIO cooler.

I'll go very well over it tomorrow.

Pretty sure you mean CX750M, right? Or CS750M? Or TX750M?

Yup thats the one, older version too ( Green one )

I seriously doubt that the PSU is what caused the shut off when you inserted the filter. Could have been anything. But without seeing how bad of a job you did building your PC, I have no idea.

I'm just questioning the psu when it comes to my build because of the bad experiences people have had with it. It is a budget psu afaik and i regret cheaping out on a psu and would love a good recommendation fit for my build !

Sorry for my bad format i'm on my phone and not used to this forums.

I appreciate all help.

I'm just questioning the psu when it comes to my build because of the bad experiences people have had with it. It is a budget psu afaik and i regret cheaping out on a psu and would love a good recommendation fit for my build !

Sorry for my bad format i'm on my phone and not used to this forums.

I appreciate all help.

So it's a CX750M?

I still don't think the PC shutting off when you slid in the filter had anything to do with the PSU.

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
Yeah the cx750m.

I just thought it was the psu because of the noise coming from that area before the pc turned off.

I just bought a rm50x for a peace of mind and will try to pinpoint any loose components and go over cable managment.