CORSAIR 750TX enough power for this new system?

evil_foamy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I have built a new system recently and im wondering if the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power supply is enough power for this system.

System Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 ATX Full Tower
ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
2x EVGA GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB in SLI
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB)
2x Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi evil_foamy, Welcome to THW.

Have you expierenced any problems mainly with your video while gaming to make you think that you do not have enuff power? Your PSU is a nice brand/model and I am almost certain that 750w is plenty of power for your PC and I think anyone else will tell you the same.

You can try to use this tool: Antec Power Supply Calculator and see what size of PSU it recommends, but keep in mind it is an estimate and it usally comes out with a high number. I got about 660w when using your specs and assuming a few others.

evil_foamy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
The problems I have been experiencing are computer freezing randomly, and starcraft 2 keeps crashing and giving me an error that video drivers have stopped working. All temps are fine, the video cards are both good, ram is good, hard drives are good. Im starting to think that it might just be an insufficient power supply. Any ideas? I have even downloaded the latest video drivers for the system and everything is updated.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
evil_foamy,

Your Starcraft 2 up to date? What are you doing when your PC freezes? It would only be under heavy loads if it were the PSU.

Have you tried to un-install your GPU drivers and then uses a program like driver sweeper to make sure they are fully removed and then install the latest drivers that are not Beta's to your video cards? I know its a long shot but I have read countless times that left over parts of nvidia drivers causing problems.

Also are your sure all other components are Ok? Ran memtest86 and check hard drive health in HDtune?

These are just suggestion because right now its really hard to pinpoint the problem.

evil_foamy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

Starcraft 2 is up to date. I already used driver sweeper, and loaded fresh video drivers. I ran memtest86 already and mem is good. The computer is randomly freezing. I can be browsing the internet and the keyboard and mouse freezes up on me, only thing I can do then is a hard reboot. The last mobo I had (Asus Sabertooth) went out on me along with one of my video cards which was very frustrating. So I ended up getting the Asus Formula, and got a new video card back. I was thinking that after I put everything back together it would be working fine, but came up with same random freezing problem. Doesnt matter what im doing it just likes to freeze up on me. I havnt tested the cpu because im not sure how. Any programs that I can use to test the CPU?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
First have you ever used HDtune to check the health of your hard drive? That would be the first thing I would try to eliminate that as a problem, and it will be the easy test to perform. Also DL a program called HWMonitor, this should tell you the voltages coming from you PSU and check to make sure they are withen acceptible limits, just in case and not hard to do.

Then go into checking your CPU and really the only thing you can do is to look at it physically and see if there are marks or bent pins or you can put it into another system and try to replicate the problem. Seen how you have already gone through a Sabertooth and a Formula, I will put money that it is the CPU, and a small chance it is a failing PSU but that can most likely be be eliminated as the problem by checking the voltages in HWMontitor.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
I think you might have a faulty psu. but first you should try the following:
1) try a different psu
2) run your system with 1 vga card and test
3) then run with the other one and test
4) run with one stick ram and test and do the same for the rest of the sticks as well
5) run your system with one hdd and then the other.
if the problem still persists then your mobo is faulty. but i think u will be able to identify your faulty hardware with this test. yeah it will take some time but will be worth it. by the way, what are your temps in load and without load? both cpu and gpu? Hope i helped