Corsair Adds ''Air Series'' Cooling Fans to Product Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

thety6on

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Idk about these specs... They seem a little overblown. Wouldn't be the first time a company tried to pull something like that off though *cough**cough*Phanteks*cough**cough*. I guess we'll just have to wait for a review, but for now, I'm sticking with my Gentle Typhoons. Best 120mmx25mm fans in regards to static pressure and noise level. The only problem with them is finding them in stock anywhere...

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Ingenious. I hadn't even considered using fans to push cool air into my computer and the hot air out. Thank goodness we have Corsair on the bleeding edge of technology bringing us these unprecedented discoveries. /sarcasm

Anyone else think these were fans for RAM, or some other new thing, based on the title and wording of the article?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]What's the difference between "High Pressure" and "High Airflow"?[/citation]
High pressure is nice for intake fans. Low pressure fans can't push air in very well unless there are already fans blowing air out.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]What's the difference between "High Pressure" and "High Airflow"?[/citation]
These thin fans have low air pressure. That's why its not even listed on some models and why I said; "meh" The thin frames do not allow for good air pressure, which would make them useless for pushing air through a thick heatsink or even an air filter. More static pressure means that the air can be pushed through a resistance better.

Airflow simply means the amount of air that the fan is capable of pushing at a certain rate of speed.

Think of this as a water hose, a thick water hose can move lots of water but would need a lot of pressure to produce a jet. When you put your thumb over the end of the hose, you create a blockage which increases the pressure without increasing the flow of water. Since you've restricted the flow with your thumb, the same amount of water is trying to squeeze through a much small opening which increases the pressure many times.

If you turn the hose on 1/4 of the way, your water flow may be 50 CFM, or cubic feet per minute. Turn the faucet halfway, and it may be 100CFM. Same with air flow, the CFM rating is how much air under ideal conditions a fan may be able to move in one minute.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

High Flow means there'll be a lot of air going through the fan, at least if there's nothing blocking it (like a dust filter). If there is a dust filter, the air flow will drop drastically, specially if there's too must dust in it.

High pressure means it will be able to hold the specified air flow more easily, even with dust filters or other things blocking the air flow.

For a side panel fan, you should opt for high flow.
If you intend to use dust collectors or have a very tiny case, you might want to go the other way.
An illustration: http://www.orientalmotor.com/images/mainContent/mf-staticpressure.jpg

Also, centrifugal fans are able to provide more static pressure, while axial fans (like these) can offer higher air flow at low pressure gains.

becomecooler

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I have to say they defiantly look nice, but they could learn a thing or two from the Austrians

The states don't look that great comparing them to Noctua.

Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Size: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Max volume: 22.4 dB(A)
Max air flow Airflow: 93.4 m³/h

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
[citation][nom]becomecooler[/nom]I have to say they defiantly look nice, but they could learn a thing or two from the AustriansThe states don't look that great comparing them to Noctua. Noctua NF-F12 PWM Size: 120 x 120 x 25 mm Max volume: 22.4 dB(A) Max air flow Airflow: 93.4 m³/h[/citation]

Actually 93.4 Cubic meters per hour = 55 CFM
at 22.4 DBA

If noise is compared (the corsair AF120 Quiet) the corsair is 21 DBA but only moves 39.88 cfm.

On paper the Noctua is a better fan but they are expensive. If corsair sells them for cheaper than the
Noctua fans they might be a better value. I do agree Noctua fans are the bomb, but Corsair has been known for high quality products for a good price so I have a feeling Corsair is on to something good.

Maybe Toms Hardware should do a case fan roundup to see how good they are

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]becomecooler[/nom]I have to say they defiantly look nice, but they could learn a thing or two from the AustriansThe states don't look that great comparing them to Noctua. Noctua NF-F12 PWM Size: 120 x 120 x 25 mm Max volume: 22.4 dB(A) Max air flow Airflow: 93.4 m³/h[/citation]

You're comparing CFM to m³/h.
1 Cubic Feet per Minute = 1,698 m³/h (cubic meter per hour)
So those 93.4m³/h equals 55 CFM. They're just inflating the number - altough I prefer m³/h, since it's actually a unit the world (not just the US) uses.

It is a bit better, just not that much. There's no easy way to increase air flow without increasing RPM (noise!) or diameter (size).

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]...I prefer m³/h, since it's actually a unit the world (not just the US) uses.[/citation]
I'm from the U.S. and have been meaning to ask... what's this "world" others keep speaking of? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.