Corsair AIO Liquid Cooler Pump Speed

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017
Hi all,

First of all I'm sorry if I am posting this thread in the wrong category and if I'm breaking any rules, I will remove it immediately.

I currently own a Corsair H80i v2 and I have a question to ask.

So I attached the pump connector to the CPU fan header and set it in bios with DC and 100%.

When I open Corsair Link, I have 2 modes for the pump, quiet and performance.

When I set my pump to quiet, Corsair Link says approx. 1890 rpm, HW Monitor says approx. 930 rpm.

If I set it to performance, in Corsair Link rpm goes to 2850 and on HW Monitor says 1413/1425.

Now, I always read that its important for pumps to be given 12v continuously simply because you put wear on the pump bearings designed to run @ 12v.

My question is, If I set it DC and 100% speed in bios is it a way of ensuring you are supplying 12v to the pump?
And does both quiet and performance modes work with 12v or quiet mode actually works with less since it decreases the rpm?

CPU - Intel Core i7 6700K

CPU Cooler - Corsair H80i v2

Motherboard - Asus Z170M- PLUS

RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (32 gb @ 3200mhz)

Graphic Card - Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080

OS - Windows 10 Pro

Thank you :)

Solution

Yes. And with that particular cooler, you won't see much difference in performance with the pump at quiet vs...

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
Setting to DC mode and full speed will ensure that it gets 12V, as well PWM mode. I typically recommend that folks just set it to full speed, period, regardless of mode as some motherboards have been known to detect that it's 3 pin and override PWM mode.

Both quiet and performance modes require the full 12V.

And your readings are normal; the fan speed reading will be about 1/2 of the actual pump speed.

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017

Hi and thank you for replying.

So that means that with my bios settings (DC @ 100%) its perfectly safe running quiet mode with those reduced speeds rather than the actual full speed (2.85/2.9k rpm)?

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017

Yes. And with that particular cooler, you won't see much difference in performance with the pump at quiet vs performance mode. Fans are another thing ... but the pump speed doesn't seem to matter much.

Solution