Corsair and Crucial Memory question

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

What are the differences between Corsair and Crucial in general? I just replaced my Corsair ddr-2 667 with Crucial ddr-2 800 (4 sticks for a total of 3 gigs) one of the 1 gig sticks is bad. Ive always brought corsair but looking at the newegg reviews im giving them a try. Since 1 stick is bad im trying to decide whether to send everything back and get ddr-2 800 from corsair or just rma the bad stick? my mobo is a p5k-e wifi.
Do you all prefer one over the other in general?

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
In general, both are companies that make very good memory. In most cases it will boil down to brand loyalty or simply price. I certainly won't say anything bad about another RAM company as that is not how we do things. If there is anything I can help with, please just ask.

Mondoman

Splendid
Your question is like asking "what's the difference between Ford and GM". Both companies market a number of lines from low-end to high-end. The items in your links are both from the companies' premium lines, so I wouldn't worry about them.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Ehh, drop the corsair sticks. If you plan to overclock that is....

The older revision of those corsair sticks (rev 1.1, 1.2, and 1.4) contained Micron D9 modules. Top notch quality sticks, the current 2.1 revision contains promo IC's...not very good for OC'ing if you plan to do so.

With the Crucials, you're guaranteed Micron D9 chips, whether it be the most received (and best) D9GMH, D9GCT, or D9GKX....they are all micron. Go with the crucial modules, Corsair was a very top notch brand. Still is in a lot of peoples eyes, but they have been swapping out a lot of their IC's for cheaper ones, which has made Corsair followers angry.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Also.....sort of off topic.....one stick is probably not bad

32-bit OS's only support 4 gigs, thats including BIOS, graphics etc.
If you have 64-bit OS then one is dead