Corsair Announces 480GB Force Series 3, GT SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Meh. What I would really care about is some 120 GB drive with no artificially-limited-IOPS-and-speed bullshit and which doesn't cause BSoDs.

toxin440

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
While 250 for 180GB SSD isn't "that bad", I'm still getting along quite well with my 64GB kingston Vseries SSD I got a long time ago. Sure it doesn't do 500MB sec, however I can pick up another for 75 dollars from newegg and get just about the same speed in Raid0. I'm not a huge fan of raid0 due to some bad experienced with Maxtor in the mid 90s however since SSDs are a lot more rugged and with excellent transparent backup software these days (yay Acronis) I see no reason why I won't make this jump pretty soon.

halcyon

Splendid

I have a couple of old 120GB Vertex 2's in RAID 0 and they've been nothing but fast and reliable. Absolutely no complaints.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I currently have 10 SATA ports on my mobo, I will keep using smaller cheaper drives in RAID for fault tolerance and equal capacity & performance, but less that half the price of this 480Gb drive.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Bottom line SSD pricing is idiotic at best. The prices for anything over 300 GB's are all over the place. If any SSD manufacturer is reading this STOP MAKING THEM FASTER....MAKE THEM CHEAPER FOR THE MASSES!!!!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hey Tom's, could we have a review of these drives? 60GB to 180GB.

I think it's time for another roundup! And it would be good if you could test one SATA 3 SSD based on each controller/NAND manufacturer to see how they perform on SATA 2 interfaces, especially in terms of IOPS and random read/write bandwidth.

Crucial, Intel and Samsung seem to be the most popular and reliable if Newegg reviews are anything to go by. Would like to see how SandForce compares in terms of reliability with the latest firmware and drives. Would also like to see if the increase in IOPS (with sandforce-2xxx) has any noticeable performance increase in real world tests (boot time, etc) over Crucial, Intel and Samsung, in both SATA 2 and 3.

[citation][nom]locoroco411[/nom]i never knew this but, whats the whole point of SSD's? all i know about is hard drives[/citation]

Speed. Even a older SATA 3GB SSD is faster than a RAID0 HDD setup. I know because I went from RAID0 500GB SATA 3GB HDDs to one single Intel SSD and its much faster.

But the price is still very high per GB. Hopefully the smaller drives will drop down soon to less than $1/GB. Or at least $1/GB.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I went from a dual 120GB Force GT in a Raid 0, to a Revo 3 x2 240GB. I used a dedicated raid, Intel RT3WB080. The Revo performed on point with where I expected it, and for about $150 less money. I saw about 25-35% gains. Seems like 240GB is the sweet spot for my wallet. The performance is easy to attain and less hassle where a raid card is needed.
-CB

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]And here come the "these are still too high" arguments...and dont stop making them faster as the idiot said above. I like having something most cant afford, we are called narcissist for a reason.[/citation]

Fixed.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
dollar a gb would be nice... then after 512gb they should give u a discount for buying memory in bulk say .90 a gb or better yet .75 a gb...

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You know how Toms has a "Past the point of reason" on their best CPU for the money, for that month? Yeah, this seems be how I feel about SSDs lately. I don't care if it's slightly faster, because that slightly faster isn't applicable in most real world applications.

It also costs too much damn money, for something I won't even notice. It's fantastic that my numbers and benchmarks say it's better, but paying more for some useless number on paper doesn't exactly do it for me.

Lower the prices.

And please, spare me your high school economics about "Supply and demand".

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The prices ARE coming down people. Slowly but surely. It was just in late 2008 when it would have cost me $400 to get a 120GB SSD. Now you can get one for $170, and it's much faster than the model offered back then.

I think the huge overflow of SSD products is a good thing, because it'ss forcing competition between the manufacturers. This in turn is driving down prices even more. SSDs have already fallen below the $2/GB mark. It wont be too long before they break the $1/GB mark. I've already seen a few do so on special clearance sales.

G

Be patient, they will come down in price and as jrharbort said they have already massively come down in price, when i first heard about ssd's which would of been around 00' they cost around $2k for a ridiculously small drive.

In 1978 - a gigabyte of RAM SSD would have cost $1 million
In June 2001 - Adtron shipped the world's highest capacity 3.5" flash SSD. The S35PC had 14 gigabytes capacity and cost $42,000.

- http://www.storagesearch.com/chartingtheriseofssds.html

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]locoroco411[/nom]i never knew this but, whats the whole point of SSD's? all i know about is hard drives[/citation]

SSDs are way faster. See the Hard Drive charts.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
In about five years' time, the price of a 500GB SSD will be the same as today's 500GB HDD. I am loling at people spending all of this money on SSDs at this point in time.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]You know how Toms has a "Past the point of reason" on their best CPU for the money, for that month? Yeah, this seems be how I feel about SSDs lately. I don't care if it's slightly faster, because that slightly faster isn't applicable in most real world applications. It also costs too much damn money, for something I won't even notice. It's fantastic that my numbers and benchmarks say it's better, but paying more for some useless number on paper doesn't exactly do it for me. Lower the prices. And please, spare me your high school economics about "Supply and demand".[/citation]
If you had went to high school you'd understand the economics, SSD's are WAY faster than HDD's moron. Try one before you make yourself look like an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.