Corsair Announces Full Line of Quad Channel DRAM Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichihaifu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]32gb? im at 4gb =[do we even have ways to use all the ram for the regular consumer?[/citation]
Right now anything more than 4 is virtually useless for gaming atleast, and I think thats what these guys are aiming for. Anything more than that can only work in 64bit clients, and those are not too common, yet.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Would be nice for a RAM disk but i don't think it is cost effective with SSD laying around. I guess if you use Firefox with 10 tabs open it will full up 32 GB (I keed). Only useful for video editing program and Virtual Machines, I guess (never used one of those really).

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I'm comfortable with 8gb's as I need it to run FF, Outlook, a few messenger like apps, VS, and whatever game im playing... But anymore than that is total waste IMO. Heck, I can get away with 4gigs and have for quite a while. The only other use I can find is multiboxing WoW, and running my own instances lol...

pnorman

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
More heatspreaders at voltages low enough that they don't actually do anything except make it hard to get in past the CPU heatsink.

I have 16 GB in both my computers, and use it. A decent OS will cache on-disk content to RAM and make use of as much as you give it.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Funny, sandy bridge isn't really bottle necked by memory at all.

Also, whats the difference between buying 4 stick of identical ram and a 'quad channel overpriced' kit?

resetrsx

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ichihaifu[/nom]Right now anything more than 4 is virtually useless for gaming atleast, and I think thats what these guys are aiming for. Anything more than that can only work in 64bit clients, and those are not too common, yet.[/citation]

64 bit is pretty common now, and all new systems that I've seen come with Windows 7 64 bit. I've been running a 64 bit OS since Vista.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Quad channel currently does not benefit normal consumer, (even hard core gamers) there just aren't any consumer level programs that are bottlenecked by the bandwidth available in modern RAM.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Quad Channel? Holy fudge pops batman, I will just sell my first born for the RAM. Not to mention many times you have to be selective in which DIMM slot you use because of system stability.

Hell on my Motherboard with ram in the first two slots it refuses to boot. I have experienced this other times as well on other boards.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]pwnorbpwnd[/nom]Hmm.. I'll stick to 2x4gb Dual Channel 1600mhz ram at 70$ thank you.[/citation]
You mean 40 dollars. www.newegg.com

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Forget SB-E CPUs, I can't even afford quad-channel RAM![/citation]
You can grab 16GB of G.skill ripjaw Z 1600 (designed for SB-E) for less than $90 bucks

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
To be honest, the only benefit *I* see of getting a fourth memory channel is that it grants you an extra two slots for DIMMs, meaning you could cram in more RAM. For a gamer, this is pointless; 2 modules is all you'll actually need to make use of; a pair of inexpensive 4GB DIMMs is all but overkill for any game in Windows 7.

Now, for someone doing obscene levels of audio and video editing, one could quite conceivably want an SSD's amount of RAM. For instance, someone composing music might be using a very exhaustive set of uncompressed samples, and some of these libraries ARE measured in the tens of gigabytes. So in this case, the option to go to 64GB (8x8GB) or to be able to AFFORD 32GB (as 4GB DIMMs are a fraction the price of 8GB DIMMs) could be a godsend to such professionals. The further memory bandwidth isn't of any real use; it's just the extra capacity that gets used.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]32gb? im at 4gb =[do we even have ways to use all the ram for the regular consumer?[/citation]
This kind of hardware isn't intended for "regular" customers who only browse the web, play farmville, email, etc. Those folks don't need more than 4GB. Professionals and hobbyists who edit large amounts of high-def video, build complex digital 3D models, work with large amounts of data, and otherwise have very demanding hardware needs will be eyeballing this stuff in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.