Corsair Announces New Dominator Platinum DDR3 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Never did give a crap about lights....
The last thing I need is someone knowing what I have under the hood and jacking my shit...
Anyways...
The article was kind of misleading.
It said stuff about fans when it should have been talking about airflow over the heatsinks...
Just my 2 cents...

[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Bragging rights? Yes.Real World Performance difference? No.Price Difference? Yes.Worth it? No.[/citation]

Fast RAM is very beneficial in some very prevalent applications, although we all probably know that not everything benefits from faster RAM and in those circumstances, fast RAM would not be worth it. However, that doesn't have an impact on the fact that many people would benefit from very fast RAM for certain usage.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]The flashy overpriced stuff never makes it in my builds. I like their Power Supplies and they do OK with RAM but I usually wait until I actually go to get the parts for a new rig and then do my comparisons at Newegg.[/citation]
Yeah I've always got the feeling that this kind of product is the thing that high school kids beg about to their parents.

"MOM. It's got HEATSINKS. BUY IT!"

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I always found memory to be the least of my performance problems in PC builds. Hard drives, graphics, even motherboards all affected my performance more than memory. In fact, the only time memory speed was noticed was on a mini server I had with concurrent virtual PCs running.

Still, if you can afford the price, and must have the latest and greatest, then the specs look good.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Bragging rights? Yes.Real World Performance difference? No.Price Difference? Yes.Worth it? No.[/citation]

Llano, Trinity, and other integrated GPUs would like to share a word with you. Give them enough bandwidth, and not only they'll be the king of the integrated GPUs, but also rival low-mid range dedicated ones as well.

On a second thought, if one could afford such fast RAM sticks, couldn't they have used the money for a dedicated GPU?...

Nice work Doug.

I bought my first pair of TwinX a few years ago and never looked back ... those DDR1 sticks are still running 211 @ 12225 in an old 4400 (my memory is poor and I could have a few errant bits myself).

I have had cheap sticks of noname ram die along the way from time to time.

Quality control on these is very high ... only for discerning buyers ... not for the masses.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Llano, Trinity, and other integrated GPUs would like to share a word with you. Give them enough bandwidth, and not only they'll be the king of the integrated GPUs, but also rival low-mid range dedicated ones as well.On a second thought, if one could afford such fast RAM sticks, couldn't they have used the money for a dedicated GPU?...[/citation]

Compression/decompression, rendering, folding, AVX accelerated AES encryption/decryption, and some other professional workloads can benefit greatly from fast RAM. Fast RAM can and does benefit certain workloads greatly. However, these are not typical of most users. For most users, fast RAM is not beneficial enough to justify the price. Regardless of that, faster RAM is very important for some applications. Some even scale performance roughly linearly with increased memory bandwidth so long as the rest of the computer can keep up.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Fast RAM is very beneficial in some very prevalent applications, although we all probably know that not everything benefits from faster RAM and in those circumstances, fast RAM would not be worth it. However, that doesn't have an impact on the fact that many people would benefit from very fast RAM for certain usage.[/citation]
SOME, if it were for every applications I would be running the highest speed possible!

Unfortunately, it's only in programs that are very ram intensive and can benefit from faster ram. An example would be Adobe After Effects, but then we have GPU Acceleration with Nvidia CUDA and AMD APP........

[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]A 20% increase in memory speed gives a 1.2% on average performance gain. Even a modest overclock will swamp any possible gains from the memory.[/citation]

Again, that strongly depends on the application.

[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]SOME, if it were for every applications I would be running the highest speed possible!Unfortunately, it's only in programs that are very ram intensive and can benefit from faster ram. An example would be Adobe After Effects, but then we have GPU Acceleration with Nvidia CUDA and AMD APP........[/citation]

My point was that it was only some that benefit from it and repeating that changes nothing. Some people here were generalizing incorrectly by saying that faster memory never helps and that was completely wrong. Millions of people do work that benefits from fast RAM, even if that's only millions out of hundreds of millions or even billions of computer users. Higher bandwidth and/or latency memory can be crucial to improving the performance of many professionals' computers for their jobs. Faster RAM benefits rendering and since many people's income depends on how fast their computer(s) can render something, faster RAM can increase their income, more than justifying the extra cost over slower memory. Such examples can also be true of several other types of applications and many of these are very widely used applications in many professional and industrial markets.

[citation][nom]target3[/nom]Would go nice with my SLI GTX 690s[/citation]

No it wouldn't. This memory shouldn't help you in gaming any more than 1600MHz or 1866MHz would. Gaming is not bottle-necked by more than 1600MHz or 1866MHz, depending on the situation, and going beyond this does not help.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
With all those features and most probably, its price, couldn't they have made the heatsinks out of gold?! That's a joke of course. But how about copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.